Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

No matter what you choose, you are going to need to replace the spring bushing. I would go back with the original set up all right hand. Or you could upgrade as gm suggested. What ever you do make both sides the same if you can.

It sounds like you are saying the spring eye is worn out. You do not cut threads into the spring. There are no threads in the spring. The bushing pulls itself into the spring as you thread it in. What you are seeing in the spring eye is the bushing wearing into the spring.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-31-2023 at 11:20 AM.

I saw a video by Kaiser Willys that said you had to thread the bushing in to make threads. Heres some pics of the spring with and without the bushing. Notice the gap between the bushing and spring. Do you think its worn too much. I can wiggle the bushing side - side but it wont pull through. This could be because of the bushing being worn.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am not sure what you have there for a bushing. The bushing threads onto the shackle. That looks like a frame bushing. These should be your shackle bushing assembly.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/products/leaf-spring-shackle-kit-right-hand-thread-fits-41-58-mb-gpw-cj-2a-3a-3b-5-m38-greasable/

This is a video of the rear. It is the same process as the front.

https://youtu.be/72d3SbYBCPo

It has a hex nut on one end so you can screw it in. As you screw the bushing into the shackle it will pull itself into the spring. The shackle kits have everything you need. The bushings come with the shackles. You can get the left hand kits and the right hand kits.

As you thread the bushing in it will pull itself into the spring eye. Its not really making any threads, though it may seem like it. I did hear him say that in the video. It should be very tight in the spring eye. I cant tell how worn the spring eye is. The new bushing will tell the tale. If the new bushing goes in tight you are all set. If the new bushing is loose at all, the spring eye is worn out.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-31-2023 at 03:58 PM.

That is the same video I saw and was referencing. I think ill just order a set of new shackles and frame brackets and see how well they fit. Ill probably go with the m38a1 shackle gmwillys recommended.

gm has you on the right track, those will work for you. I cant tell but it is possible the spring eye will still hold the bushing tightly. When you get it reassembled, as long as the bushing doesn't move in the spring eye when the suspension moves you are good to go.

The bushing going into the spring eye must be a press fit, (or at least driven in and remain snug) even with the closed "C" M38A1 shackles. Any lateral movement will cause your shackles and springs to wear excessively, and quick. As Bmorgil was saying the spring bushing to shackle fitment is not threaded, but rather an interference fit with the threads indexing the shackle into its home position as it is turned in.

I just got a box of parts from KW. And so far the shackle bushing fits tight and will need a wrench to go in. Just like it should. (Yay I don't need leaf springs!) So now I just need to finish ripping out the old stuff then it should go back together easily. As long as I can drill out those rivets for the frame bracket.

Good deal!

I use an air chisel to pop the heads off the rivets, then drive the rest out with a punch. On ones that wont pop off, I grind the head off and drive the rest out with a punch. You can also use a hand chisel. Score the rivet head with a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder to make it easier. There are a few YouTube videos. Search for "Frame rivet removal".
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-06-2023 at 05:57 PM.

After some struggle with the rivets I finally got the old stuff dissasembled. I air chiseled the head off and drilled through the center and the rivets popped out. The one bushing in the spring, the hex part rounded and then broke off. So I had to hacksaw it into pieces and take it out like pieces of pie. Then I got new frame brackets and M38a1 shackles. That all Installed well and is so far working good. The new bushing did thread into the spring nice and tight. So everything should be good. The old frame brackets were definetely getting bad. good thing I replaced them. I do thank you all for the help figuring out what i needed.

Spring Bushings

Oh yeah - that turned out very nicely. You'll be glad you did that.

These are the ones that came off of the '48 truck.