Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Obtaining / Setting a Ring and Pinion Gear Pattern

Yes as you move the pinion out it will change backlash. You aren't going very far. It may stay in spec.

Final pics

Got her done not ideal but im going with it , First pic drive side , second coast , third , pattern in circle is what its close too I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The pinion is a little too "shallow" or you need to decrease the backlash. What is the backlash? Look at the coast side. The sharp line at the top of the tooth indicates the top land of the tooth is striking on the coast side. On the drive side the contact is good, just to the heal of the ring gear tooth. Moving the pinion in will bring those two things closer together. Moving the pinion in should move the coast side out of the "strike zone" and bring the drive side closer to the middle. Decreasing the backlash will have a similar effect, though less. How far did you move it from the last adjustment? It looks like it must have been very close the last time.

Wullfie I think you are all over it. However I think you were closer on the last set up (prior to this one). It was very close the last time. Better than it is now in my opinion. I would have been tempted to run it. The only thing about the last pattern before this one, is the slight deep contact (light straight line) on the coast side at the root of the tooth. A little more backlash or, a very slight pinion movement out and that was probably as close as you are going to get. I would go back to the last set up and either vary the backlash slightly or, move the pinion slightly, depending on what these current changes were. As you chase it remember, nothing will be more difficult to get a good pattern on than a well used gear set!

I moved it .003 out , the backlash was .008 , Im gonna go to other things for now ,let my patience return , then work on it some more. When I do ill move it back in .002. I see the sharp line ur talking about.

Sometimes, you just have to back away from project. Expensive things happen when pushing too hard to make something perfect. TJ and I like the sit on a bucket, look at the problem, have a beer or three, then have a Winston or two to regulate the nerves. More often then not, when you get back to it, it often falls right together. Most of the time...

I think you are very close. Move the pinion back and see if you can hold the backlash close to .009" - .010".. I think that's as good as it will get. Sometimes it does help to walk away from it for a while! You had a usable pattern the time before the last set up. It should come in nice this time.