While performing a knuckle stud upgrade and 11" brakes on my 61' CJ5, I replaced the front leaf springs as the PO told me he had removed one of the smaller ones per side to balance out the rear springs to account for the weight of the spare tire. I removed as he installed, reinstalled as I found it. Looking further at the Jeep Universal Parts List Group 27-03 and KW, it shows (1) A1097 U bolt to be installed on the passenger side, (2) A1097 on the drivers side.

The PO had one over the smaller flanged end of the Dana 27 where it's welded/mated to axle shaft tube, I assumed 2 per side but now seeing that is not correct, so I will revert back to what the factory calls for. I do not want to damage the flange end of the Dana 27 casting, glad I caught that before any serious wheeling.

As an aside, having a little difficulty getting the drivers side leaf spring to sit completely flush on the perch plate/center pin. I have tried using two jacks and jack stands to relieve pressure, still will not sit flat on the perch pin. I do notice the front shackle seems a bit further back than the passenger, I though perhaps the leafs need to come forward just a hair, with pressure off, I used my 2lbs dead blow forward and backwards, still not sitting flat. Any further tips/suggestions from the seasoned vets?

I may have the alignment shop address it as I do not have toe plates, and I am behind schedule as is, so worth the $90 to me having an old school alignment shop handle it and know it's done right.