Thread: Stumped on seal during timing cover replacement

Stumped on seal during timing cover replacement

While replacing the timing cover on a Dauntless engine in my '56 Willys this seal was lying under the engine. I don't remember it during the removal. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

bh, that looks like the felt packing that is installed between the end yokes and the seals in the transfer case/axle or the felt seals in the slip yoke of the driveshaft. It could also be from the transmission front input shaft cover. It was used in there originally. What is the approximate size of that felt?
    Last edited by bmorgil; 04-25-2023 at 06:48 AM.

That I’m almost positive it is the front crank seal, probably fell out of the timing cover when you pulled it off.
    The 225’s had a rope/felt seal on them at first and depending on the year a neoprene seal can be used in lieu of the rope, check your timing cover in the hole that goes over the end of the crank, I bet it fell out of there.

We all know the feeling ...

"Hey Bubba, where did this come from?"

Here are some additional photos and info. Jeep is registered and titled as 1956 CJ5. But, has a state issued serial#. From what I can tell, that serial# was issued in the early '70's. So, it is either a salvaged or remanufactured Jeep. (I've done this before putting a '68 Willy's body on a '72 AMC frame/engine.) Anyway, when I removed the timing cover the inner seal was the neoprene, outer seal was a neoprene. I don't recall the felt seal coming off with the timing cover. The new timing cover came with a neoprene seal which should be the outer seal. The gasket kit came with a neoprene seal which should be the inner seal. I don't see why there would be both the felt seal and a neoprene seal together. It wouldn't surprise me if one of the previous owners rebuilt the engine and didn't remove the older felt seal. It doesn't make sense but, goofy crap happens!. The photo of the three seals shows the top seal that came with the cover, the seal on the bottom left is the older felt seal and the lower right the neoprene seal in the kit. The other photo is a rubber seal that kinda has me stumped, too0-2.jpg0-1.jpg