Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CJ2a build/restoration

New CJ2a build/restoration

Hello,
    Just recently inherited a 1946 Willys CJ2a. This was my wife’s Great Grandfathers. It was used properly as a trail rig for many years. Now I have the pleasure of trying to pull all of the rock damage out, and restore it to its previous glory!

It looks like a great start Jt and it has a family history. Perfect.

Welcome J.IT.,

I love the back story on your 2A. In my opinion, don't fix her up too nice, and take away the character that has been put into the Jeep through the years of service. I stripped all the layers of paint and Bondo off mine, and when the dust settled, I really liked the look of all the body imperfections and brazed in patches that were done over time. So, I clear coated it and left it naked. Trailer queens are not as fun as getting out and using your Willys as it was intended. Again, it's your rig, due with as you wish. It will be great any which way you choose.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 04-26-2023 at 03:15 AM.

I knew gm would love that original look! Your jeep looks like a perfect example of historic.

Yep, I do have a soft spot in my heart for the history and functionality.

Very nice, to a Jeep lover.

It has been used, not especially abused. Fix the mechanical issues so it is safe to drive and reliable enough to use when and where you want it to go.

It's ready to go to work for the fourth or even fifth generation!

Welcome Jeepintahoe. Looks like its in good shape. And its always cool to have vehicles with a family history! Good Luke and looking forward to seeing the progress.

1946 CJ-2A Project

Looks like we have a project in common. Our 1946 is in pretty good condition but we have it at our auto shop getting everything done to make it run better. We are not restoring it to original. There is already a 1980 engine it. Good luck on your project!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Terri; 05-04-2023 at 05:47 PM.

Thank you all for the welcome and the encouraging words! I had originally planned to strip it down and beat out all the panels and make it look as brand new as possible and shiny and all that good stuff, but after reading everyone’s thoughts, I couldn’t agree more. I think it would be doing a disservice to the history, I look forward to keeping you guys updated as I make progress

I do love restored Jeeps like Bmorgil's 3A, but I love more the fact that when I take our 2A down a trail, through the trees, it's no big deal. A scratch or a new ding just adds to the character and the ongoing history. It is great fun to go on a trail ride with a bunch of shinny pavement princesses that are all jacked up with all the aftermarket gizmos, and at the end of the trail the Great Grandad of the Jeeps is sitting there without even breaking a sweat. The mall crawlers needed to break out their winches to make it over the rocks.