Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1946 Willys CJ2A

What a ... messed up deal! Every time I think I hear of the worst screwed up Department of Motor Vehicles, there is a one up!

I agree. That's ridiculous. Alabama is almost too easy. I had the title for my 2A, but as long as they had a bill of sale, all was good. Alabama didn't title vehicles before 1980, so they don't even want to look at a title when they see the vintage.

Indiana can be almost as screwed up.

When I tried to register the ’48, I could not find my Indiana title. I asked for a duplicate title, but I was told that titles prior to ’58 had been flushed out of the system – so I would have to apply for a new title.

Being too logical, I asked; ”So, you guys threw away my title and now I have to start over to correct your screw up, Why is that?” I thought the DMV clerk was going to call security. She printed about a half-inch of paper I needed to complete, get notarized and take to a Judge. I said; “Well – dang” and left.

The paper got lost, and I went to another DMV branch. It was a slow morning and I had a clerk who wanted to help. I told her about the half-inch thick pile of paper and she said; “Oh, that is required only if a vehicle cost more than $5,000 new.” “Well, I guess I’m screwed because I have no way to know what this truck cost in 1948”.

I was floored when she said; “Oh, I can find that in the system”. A minute or so later she told me that my 2WD Jeep truck cost $1,850 new in 1948. (I think that is the number – somewhere in that range – the 4WD was only about $250 more, so that helps explain why most folks opted for the 4WD). Since the truck was less than $5,000, I just had to fill out a one page form, get it notarized and I would get a new title.

I was curious – so I asked “What did a Ford pickup cost then?” The answer was “about $1,450”. A Jeep truck was an expensive vehicle back in the day.

Just about every state has their peculiar DMV Bureaucracy – I’ll bet New York can top either of our stories…..

bmorgil when I ordered all the parts I needed from kaiser willys I ordered the VIN plate. We will see if it works here. Thanks for the advice.

The trophy shop did the engraving. Tomorrow is the big day. But I don't see how they will accept a shiny new plate when the vehicle is a 46 and the steering plate showing a diagram of shifting is so faded???????????????
    Terri

Most DMV personnel will be happy that they can read the tag without issue. The poor girl that registered our 2A almost was tempted to have me take a paper and pencil and do a rub of my plate. I can read it, but she wasn't too inclined to get close to the Heep. I had the title, but since this state doesn't issue titles on anything older than 1980, they were only interested in the bill of sale.

I cant wait to hear how this goes! I think you have exactly what you need. The VIN matches the title. I would say, "It looks like you did a great job restoring the plate".

" ...but she wasn't too inclined to get close to the Heep."

She might not have been current on her tetanus shots. The Heep could have been overwhelming in its original state.