Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1946 Willys CJ2A

Smile 1946 Willys CJ2A

Hi everyone! I was so glad to find this site. My husband got his dad's Jeep when dad passed away. We have moved it from Arizona to Colorado and are replacing all fluids, fuel tank, carburetor, brake master cylinder, and the starter before getting it painted.
    We have had nothing but problems getting the out of state VIN inspection done. All VIN numbers are so worn down. Also the title VIN number doesn't match to the numbers it should be according to manufacturing. I am wondering if at sometime maybe dad had to do a Bonded title and Arizona assigned it a new VIN number?

We are near Grand Junction, Colorado and looking for a rear seat to put in the Willys.

"We have had nothing but problems getting the out of state VIN inspection done. All VIN numbers are so worn down. Also the title VIN number doesn't match to the numbers it should be according to manufacturing. I am wondering if at sometime maybe dad had to do a Bonded title and Arizona assigned it a new VIN number?"

A state can and will assign their own VIN if they can't decide on the original. My '48 truck 2T 21865 became MVIN23841IND because the Tennessee title had the original motor number, not the vehicle number.

Good luck with the paper.....

Welcome Terri,

Willys was not real consistent when it came to serial numbers when registrations. As LarrBeard said, Colorado may have a way to assign their own VIN number to help you out. On our 2A Heep, the serial number plate was good enough to read on the right side of the cowl, behind the air cleaner assembly. Ours was missing the frame serial number tag that was riveted to the front frame horn behind the driver's side bumper, but the body serial number sufficed in registering.

The link below is of the rear seat frame that I used on our 2A;

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/product...s-46-49-cj-2a/
    https://www.kaiserwillys.com/product...2301-6-CVS-BLK
    https://www.kaiserwillys.com/product...2301-6-CVS-BLK

The last two links are for the seat covers that I used. I liked the black canvas seat covers, but if you want vinyl, they are available on the same link, with a choice of colors.

The following pieces, (2 required) are for if your Jeep never had a rear seat, or if they are too rusty to reuse.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/product...4-cj-2a-3a-3b/

Also, here is a link to when I installed the rear seat in our 2A. It had never had a rear seat, so I had to punch out the floor plugs to install the seat catches for the rear legs of the seat to engage. Other than that, the front legs just slide into the pockets in the floor.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...-Runner/page12
    Last edited by gmwillys; 05-02-2023 at 02:21 AM.

Welcome Terri! Good luck with your registration, I am sure you will get it figured out. Shoot some pictures of that baby, I think you are going to enjoy this project.

I don't know how it will be for you but here in Ohio I was able to use my own VIN plate. I had the original and it did match the title but, no one cared. I went in with a new VIN plate attached to the firewall. I had a Jeweler match the engraving on the old tag. The DMV here simply checked the title to the VIN.

I would order a new VIN plate and match it to your title. Its amazing but its the title that counts here not the car!

Nameplates

KWAS has a variety of nameplates for CJ-series, trucks, wagons and just about anything. Willys-Overland changed nameplate styles often enough that no one is exactly certain what style went with which model and year.

Pick one you like, take it to a trophy shop or jeweler and get the number that the Colorado DMV wants to see engraved on it, screw it to the firewall and call it good.

This is the one I had to re-create for the truck, and KWAS buys about two dozen of them a year from me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a nice VIN plate LarrBeard!

That is a dandy Larrbeard, I may have to change mine out

IMG_6826.jpg

Thanks LarrBeard I think AZ assigned a VIN number and now CO won't accept it.

Thanks to everyone. Very nice group here.
    Last edited by Terri; 05-02-2023 at 08:15 PM.

That is a great looking 2A. It looks exceptionally clean. The southwest dry air has done a lot of good for preserving the body. The windshield ducting sheet metal has me a bit puzzled, but it is functional. The early '46s are my personal favorite with the bullet marker lights in the grille.

I looked into Colorados requirements for registration. As I read it, if you get an authorized dealer or a State Trooper to run the VIN that you have, (you may have already tried this route since you said that it was rejected). After that, I'm not sure where you can go from there. Was the Jeep titled but not registered in Arizona?
    Last edited by gmwillys; 05-03-2023 at 02:08 AM.

The jeep was titled and registered in Arizona for many years. I finally figured out how to post a picture of it! In Colorado if they can't verify the vin # you have to get a Bonded title. You have to buy a bond for 3 years. Then if no one shows up contesting ownership you get your regular title. This is not cheap believe me.