Thread: Grab handles on windshield?

Grab handles on windshield?

Finally got my DJ3A running and shifting better thanks to the membership (correcting my technique) and I have found that my passengers are scared without a grab handle.

Anyone have one mounted on the windshield on the passenger side?

My windshield has a track on the inside but doesnt look strong enough to mount anything to. Same track that is on the top/front of the windshield frame that appears to be for a soft top to slide into.

Any suggestions?

Thinking I am going to make one out of 5/8 solid rod and find a way to mount it there. Maybe 6” long.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Typically I see grab handles installed directly in front of the passenger seat. It is a common addition. So are seat belts. My bride screams as we fly down the road at 38 MPH. "There's nothing to hang on to in this thing!" Brings a grin to your face if you're not careful.

A m38A1 and CJ5s had a grab handle like what Bmorgil describes, on the dash board directly in front of the passenger's position.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/product...2-83-cj-m38a1/

Also as Bmorgil alluded to, seat belts aren't a bad addition, even without a roll bar installed. We have racing style lap belts for all riders on our 2A. When you are showing your ride or washing, the belts unclip from the eye bolt so they can be put up. The belts are enough to keep the children firmly in the back seat, and the wife from escaping.

An example of the seat belts;
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/37445234726...Bk9SR56D3KWRYg

I have a set of seat belts from EBay that are actually great and color matched if you can believe it. The dash handle seems to make people lean forward (I have one in my 85 CJ7 and 07 JK Wrangler… .

I think I might just make one out of solid bar stock and see if I cant mount it to that track.

Anyone know what that track on the inside of the windshield is for?

This site needs a “like” button. Thank you for the suggestions/help.

The track is for the top attachment. I would stay away from mounting the bar to the windshield. It definitionally isn't the most solid point to mount it. If the clips should let go your passenger would have quite a surprise! If your running that hard, you really need correctly installed shoulder restraints to keep the passengers face out of the dash.

Going easy generally so no one is flying out. Part of it is getting in and out. Even though the door openings are cut down to the floor its still high!