Thread: Knobs

Knobs

Got a question for you boys, finally getting around to resurrecting my 48 CJ-2a which I have had since my Grandfather passed it down to me in 1962, learned to drive in that old girl and was the only one that could take it apart and put it back together again with no extra parts left over, would like to pass it down to my son some day and want to do it while I still have time. About 30 years ago I did the motor and pickled it and put the old girl in a shed at my brothers farm and kind of forgot her. This past fall I decided it was time so turned her over with the hand crank to make sure the motor was free, trickled some automatic transmission fluid into each cylinder and headed off to work for a month. Got home and cranked it over a few times with the hand crank to make sure everything was moving, put the battery in , half gallon of fuel in the tank and hit the starter and after a prime and a hand choke over the carb she fired right up, 35 lb oil pressure and running like a sewing machine. So that was when I decided the time was right. Have been rounding up the required parts to overhaul the brake system and other odds and ends and am ready to pull the body off and this brings me to my question. HOW DO YOU GET THE KNOBS ON THE GEAR SHIFT AND TRANSFER CASE LEVERS off without busting them, after all there is only 75 years worth of rust holding them on. I know somebody out there has a trick to handle it. Thanks Ken

Ken,

Time has proven that you did good work 30 years ago before putting the engine to bed.

As far as the shifter knobs, give the threads a shot of penetrating fluid to see if it will migrate up the threads. Then apply a thick/wide rubber band around the knobs, then carefully apply pressure with a pair of channel lock pliers. The rubber band will protect the knob, and grip the surface to help turn it off. I can't think of a time where this technique didn't work, except when a transmission was upside down in the mud, the knob was shattered and the insert was seized. Then it required heat and Vise Grips.

I ended up destroying the one that was left on mine. On the remaining, the inserts were still frozen on the sticks! As gm suggests, I had to use some Vice Grips and a little heat and wax to remove the inserts, then installed new knobs. Luckily the knobs are available. If the knobs are in good shape, I would leave them alone.

Gear shifter knobs are always a hit and miss. gm has you on the right track. I have had good success on some vehicles with a rubber strap wrench. Usually the insert just comes loose in the knob if it is really stuck. On sticks that cannot be replaced for what ever reason, if the threads are gone, it becomes a push on. Industrial two part epoxy. If it ever needs to come off, heat.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rubber+st...l_6cal4wuph0_e
    Last edited by bmorgil; 06-06-2023 at 06:31 AM.

I can’t remember at the moment which of my T90 transmissions does not have a threaded cane. No sign there was ever any there. The knob that was on it had a setscrew.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Jeff I am going to bet that if you took a hard look at that shifter, you would see the insert frozen on. All the T90's had a threaded handle. The insert was such that if the knob comes off it is very hard to see. It ends up looking like the end of the shifter is smooth for a push on knob. It is a coincidence that the insert is the same O.D as the shifter. When the knob comes off it can look like one piece. KW sells a "Push On" if the threads have broken off or are ruined.

Will give that a try thanks> Ken

WOW! I would have never found that if hadn’t been pointed out. I cleaned the end of the cane with a scotchbrite wheel on a Dremel and had to get out the 10x magnifying glass. I found a line about an inch from the end. The only other clue(?) I saw after cleaning it up is the end looked like the insert is open on both ends. Thanks!
    image.jpg
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

It is truly hard to believe how well it hides on there. The frozen insert sells a lot of push on knobs.