Thread: Looking for shocks

Looking for shocks

Hi,
    I just got a 1958 CJ5. I'm going through it right now to get it driving. Right now I'm looking for shocks and don't know if I have a lift kit on it already. The shock mounting points are about 17" apart front and back.
    Is this stock or lifted, if lifted then how much?
    And can I get some part numbers for shocks I can put on.

Thanks

Ifster, measure it and subtract or add for your current tire height. The CJ-5 should be around 70" high to the top of the windshield and fairly level front to rear, with 27" tall tires.

Did you flip the springs back in the rear yet?
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-15-2023 at 08:02 AM.

Yes, the axle is flipped back under. I have the tires, but are not mounted and installed. Got 30-9.50-15s tires. Still waiting on wheel studs before I can get the tires on.
    Learned the hard way about the left hand thread on the driver side.

Put in all new brake lines, hoses, and wheel cylinders. Put in a power brake booster and dual chamber master.

I was hoping if someone has a un-lifted CJ5, they could measure the mount to mount distance and let me know. Or a known height lift mounting distance would also be helpful. This will tell me what I have.

Thanks again.

Just set it level on stands or whatever you have, under the axles so it is supported by the springs. Measure the distance to the top of the windshield and then do the math from the center of the axles to the ground. If the center of the axles are 13.5" from the ground with the weight on the springs, the distance to the top of the windshield needs to be close to 70".

In looking at what you have I would say stock shocks will do the trick. The front looks stock height.

I had a friend measure his mounting points at ride height, he's at about 16". I have some lift shackles in the front, likely to compensate for the V8 and at 17.5 to 18" all around.
    I'm considering using 22" shocks at full extension. That'll give me about 3ish" extension past ride height.
    What do you think.

That's close enough to stock if you are measuring 17.5" to 18" to the top of the windshield, adjusting for 27" tall tires. That puts the springs fairly close to where they were originally. Stock length shocks will work fine.

The shock will control the maximum deflection of the springs in the extended position. If they are too short the shock will constantly hit full extension, making for a jerky ride. Typically they have too be way too short for that to happen.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-16-2023 at 08:51 AM.