Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi, new bloke here, from the UK

Hi, new bloke here, from the UK

I've had my Jeep just over 3 years now
    When I bought it, it looked fine
    It wasnt until it was delivered I saw what a piece of junk it really was
    The engine was cracked, core plugs leaking, wrong fuel tank, none of the gauges worked, the canvas was in sh*t state, The carb had this white stuff in it, that would need changing, the canvas was in a terrible state, same as the seats and cushions
    BUT it still ran, rough, but it still ran
    My Jeep cost me £13,750
    I got a new engine from a Willys generator, it had 120 hours on the clock, but still had Willys on the head
    I replaced the fuel tank, along with the carb, seats, cushions, canvas (I got a full winter kit)
    I used repo parts, they were better than genuine parts and cheaper, looked the same and did the same job and just needed painting
    I had a heater in my Jeep, that came off a Norweigian Jeep
    I have now spent over £12, 00 on getting my Jeep up and running
    I am thinking of getting disc brakes for the front
    Anyone have any thoughts on that ?

Welcome Deririck! It sounds like you put your Jeep back in working order that's for sure. As long as it wasn't rusted beyond repair, you did great with your purchase. You can put just about anything back the way it was on these. If the steel is gone however, you have to replace it or patch it up. Your Jeep sounds like it will be a great time year round.

Front disc brakes on a Jeep, you are going to use and drive around, is a fantastic idea. The original brakes leave a lot to be desired. They are a lot of work in traffic. The front brakes on a Jeep do all the work. The drums are quite sufficient for the backs and when combined with front disc's and a duel master cylinder, they become very effective.

bmorgil

Thank you very much for your reply to this thread

My jeep has given me a lot of headaches, trying to find a decent engine, that is in budget (this engine wasnt in budget, but if I wanted a good engine I had to go for it)

It added to the cost of it, plus the extra hours taking it out of the generator and rebuilding it

I gave up trying to find genuine WW2 parts, most were in a terrible state, needed rebuilding, welding

To me it just seemed more sensible to buy repo parts

The fuel tank was the wrong kind, it never had the belly in it, the fuel feed came out of the top, now I think we all know the fuel is fed from the bottom of the tank

None of the gauges were even connected, so connecting them up and finding out which worked and what didnt was another headache

I found it hard work, I never knew there was so many people out there that could offer help or advice

I used youtube for a lot of advice about rebuilding my Jeep

I recently had a new clutch installed and the gear box rebult

Who ever rebuilt it last time (before I bought it) had used grease and oil in there

I found a receipt for it, a complete rebuild cost £1845.68, I think who ever paid that was overcharged for a second rate job

I had a couple of foreign lads work on it (Romanians I think)

They told me they had worked on a lot of Russian vehicles, including a Russian Gaz

I cant fault their work ethic or their price, the job took longer, they said they would stick to the price quoted

I have taken it to a couple of military shows, people ask me what kind of a Jeep it is, all I ca tell them its a Jeep, a 1943 Jeep

There are a few Ford bits on it (head lights) but its my Jeep

The numbers on the hood mean nothing any more, I have put my service number which makes it a bit more
    personal to me

I even called her after my wife (Anne) she kept me going with coffee and bacon sandwiches, couldnt have done it without her
    Last edited by Derrick; 07-24-2023 at 07:21 PM.

Welcome to the forum!

"I am thinking of getting disc brakes for the front
    Anyone have any thoughts on that ?" [quote]
    Here's a link to a Youtube video i just found the other day testing drums, front disc, & full discs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3ocSpeDr5o&t=84s Like Bmorgil said front brakes do all the work, and are the most important. And yes discs will stop sooner. So far i've been okay with drums. Although i've never had my jeep in trafiic. As of now i have no problem with drums and dont think discs are worth the price for me. But that all could change in the future after more roadtrips and people pulling out in front of me lol.
    Last edited by 56willys; 07-24-2023 at 09:13 PM.

Welcome Derrick!

As Bmorgil said, it would be a wise decision to upgrade to the disk brakes and a duel master cylinder for safety. Drums and a single pot master have served the Willys well, but a single leak can put you and your investment in peril. The reproduction parts would be your best bet, being that you probably don't have too many Willys lurking around in the salvage yards to source metal from.

We would love to see some photos of your Jeep whenever you get a chance.

gmwillys

Thank you for your reply to my thread

The video you refer to is the one that made me think about front discs on my Jeep, but I found out that
    shipping these parts to the UK is really expensive, the kit itself doesnt come cheap either

I have uploaded a few pictures, I am not sure if anyone can see them though

They are of the engine and a couple of the finished Jeep

I used to buy lots of parts from the US, but since Brexit the $ has fallen and now parts are expensive

I have yet to see a Jeep in a scrap yard

But I have seen some on eBay that should be in a scrap yard, but even they are asking premium prices

Using the drum brakes on my Jeep does make you learn to read the traffic a lot more

For sure Derrick the drum brakes do make you understand the "assured clear distance" rule! But then mine only goes 50 wide open downhill.

I like the bacon Sandwiches and coffee concept, I think Anne has something there!

I have no idea what speed my Jeep is doing, the speedo bounces around like a good 'un, but it is an original

I just have to gauge what other cars are doing

I dont visit the outside lane very often

So far I havent had to 'remodel' any cars in front of me

Did you see any of the pictures I posted ?

Checking out your album now Derrick, nice Jeep man! https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...hp?albumid=176

You are are too hard on your project. That is a very nice looking Jeep. You are doing an excellent job on it. The repo parts are great for getting it back on the road. Sometimes they need a little modification or, beefing up but they usually get you through. In the end if it all works it is awesome.

The Union Jack on the hood is very cool!

Ah, the flag on the hood will be changed soon

I have tried to keep it looking like a WW2 Jeep

Today I watched a video showing some of the difference btween a 41 Jeep and a 43 Jeep

I never knew that about it