Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hi, new bloke here, from the UK

Some might have a description of their vehicle, telling you what it is, who it served with, how old it is, some will display a corps or regimental flag

I have seen tanks with a 'Do not Climb' poster on it, but that might be for Health and Safety reason (lets face it you arent going to bend it)

Jeeps seem to be in their own groups, Land Rovers in theirs, trucks in their groups, armour where ever they can fit it

Most people that own a military vehicle have a military tent, if not you have to use the public camping areas

Re enctors have their tents, treches, cooking fires all set up in the 'Living History' areas

They can range from Norman times, Viking times, The Zulu wars,

There is even a village depicting the war years, which is pretty authentic

Then everyone's favourite, The good old NAAFI wagon, bread pud, cheapest tea and coffee at every show, served in a tin mug

Derrick,

As Bmorgil was saying, we as a group love to see any and all Jeeps being restored or used rather than rotting away in some field. I think your project is of great historical value regardless if you use reproduction parts or original. Jeeps had an expected life expectancy for MB/GPW of six months of being on the battlefield. The tubs are stiffened by white oak blocks within the hat channels welded to the floor, so salt and moisture was absorbed within the wood and rotted the floors out. This practice was continued throughout the Willys civilian production. Long story short, a perfectly preserved, original Jeep is mainly something of legend more than fact. It doesn't matter if you use original steel or reproduction, what does matter is that you are out there sharing the history with the younger generations. Keep up the good work Sir.

gmwillys

I was at a military show in Australia, they had a few Jeeps, that had been imported over there, trucks and tanks

Parts are really expensive over there so they have to use repo parts, they are very high quality though

But I was talking to an Aussie owner and he said that 'The Willys Jeep is part of history, both in Europe and Australia, the US and we have a duty to preserve these Jeeps in honour of those that used them, made them and died in them, every Military vehicle owner should remember that'

I have never forgot him or what he said, I had never thought of it in that way before

Definitely advice to live by. We are merely caretakers of our forefather's history. Hopefully when we pass our vehicles down to the next generation, they hold them as dear as we do.

I have no idea what will happen to my Jeep when I peg it

My kids aren't interested in it, if they are, it will be just for its monetary value

I am hoping my wife will find someone that knows my history of rebuilding it, the cost of rebuilding it, the care that has gone into it, trying to keep it as original as possible

The history of this Jeep has had to be started with me, I cant find out any previous owners (apart from the original owner in Texas and he has passed on, I think)

I have his address and looked on google maps

It looks like scrap yard now

This is all I have on the import documents

Vehicle ID number 23895

Jaramillo Mike
    2210 Broadway
    Albuquerque
    New Mexico
    Last edited by Derrick; 08-01-2023 at 04:35 AM.

Its all yours Derrick and the history begins with you. Anything you find out will add to its story. These kind of projects are very personal. As long as you are enjoying it, it is perfect!

We have met this lady several times with her WWII Jeep. Her re-enactment is a family affair; her daughter and grand-daughter are "French orphans" she has picked up along the way and her husband is her "bodyguard"; a crusty GI who, in his persona, wants to be done with this chicken assignment and get to Germany because he has chocolate bars and silk stockings in his gas mask carrier.

https://blog.kaiserwillys.com/speedy...living-history

I have the same issue with my Jeep Truck - my kids would have no idea what to do with it. I have decided to pass it along to a museum where it will be part of their exhibit.

Derrick,

The address supplied with your import documents would be to what I would expect to find a Jeep hidden in the back shed. Our '46 came from a place much like that, except it was sitting in the front yard next to a Chevrolet closed cab deuce and a half.

The young lady that LarrBeard showcased above was a sight to see. She and her crew did a fantastic job of presenting a living history display.

That lady that renovated the Jeep was a girl after my own heart

I was never really interested in history or Jeeps

I just suddenly had a midlife crises (can you get them at 70?)

I just wanted a Jeep, I dont know why, I had just finished 10 years of travelling the world, I had lived in a tent, washed in rivers and streams, ate food you would give a dog and all in a big yellow truck for most of that time, with people I had never met or knew, I met people from all over the world, I visited countries some people only dream of visiting (145 in all) I dont regret any of it

I died twice of cerebral malaria, I spent a month in IC, I couldnt remember my name, recognise my kids or wife, I spent my time trying to dig my way out of hospital (I was on the second floor)

I wandered the ward in my underware, the nurses were very understanding

According to my passport, I have never left Ghana

Then this crises hit me

I looked everywhere for a Jeep once I was out of hospital, I found one 150 miles away, I bought it and that is where the story began

I still knew nothing about Jeeps when it arrived (on a trailer)

3 years on I am still learning about Jeeps

I am off to another show at the weekend, its going to be a wet one, from start to finish

I have just got my updates for D-Day next year, that will be the biggest event I have ever gone to

Derrick,

We are sure glad to have you doing well now and have found something that you have both fallen in love with and found a passion to learn more about. Normandy has to be far and away the most hallowed grounds in the course of history, especially with so few who served still around to tell the tale. You'll be keeping the history front and center for years to come, since 70 isn't all that old anymore.