Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Resto-mod 1958 CJ5

Resto-mod 1958 CJ5

I will be acquiring it in October. The body and interior are already custom restored just the way I want it. It runs with what I believe is the original engine. However I want to turn it into a daily driver. My desire is for it to look like a 70s vehicle under the hood but with significant speed and power abilities. No computer.
    What are your thoughts on the engine, tranny, suspension, and possibly exhaust changes? In addition I live nearby a year lace who specializes in these (20 miles?).
    Oh it’s also a manual 4WD.

This is my first build ever so be frank and direct with any criticism.

Welcome Jafopt!

You won't receive much criticism here. The great thing about a Jeep is that there is so many ways to customize your ride, with none being wrong when done well.

What would you like to run for a power plant? You could go with anything from a Kubota or Cummins diesel, a V6 or V8 gas of just about any make for a true 70s vibe with lots of chrome/aluminum accessories, or even a Wankel rotary engine. The options are wide open. With what I read from your post, I will assume that you are looking towards the V6 or V8 route with a classic carb and some classy headers. The next question would be to see what transmission and to see if you are wanting to retain the four wheel drive? With those questions answered, we can roll from there.

Also, please drop in some photos to see what you are working with, and the customizations made.

Like gm said, you can put a lot of different engines in there. You may want to stick with a V6 if you are looking for something that will be easy to fit with plenty of power. Check out TJ's CJ for a nice hot rod street Jeep CJ. The Suspension, Transfer Case, Transmission and Axles will have no problem with whatever you decide to use for an engine.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...-Forum/page108

...And don't forget JB's Overlanding rig if you want to stray completely off the reservation;

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...Project/page01

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    ...And don't forget JB's Overlanding rig if you want to stray completely off the reservation;

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...Project/page01
    When I attempt to look at some of the photos it says I'm not logged in or do not have permission to view the page. But i did just gain access to my account 5 minutes ago. So maybe some things still need to be done behind the scenes for my account.

I'm buying it off a close friend site unseen. But I have recent videos of him driving it around town. His dad restored 2 of them and gave one to each of his sons. According to the seller, the engine and trans need work.

Any links to similar builds are much appreciated. I am in contact with https://www.vintagejeepparts.com/ to do the mod. It's right down the road from my house. They say it's a short nose which limits my engine swap possibilities.

That looks like a really nice jeep. The short front cj5s are pretty tight for engine swaps. Although I've seen Ford 289 cid V8s, Chevy LS, and even a big block chevy swapped in one without an over abundance of custom work. A small Block ford 289, 302, etc. or a Small block Chevy should swap in easily. With lots of aftermarket parts available. The main difficulty would be drive shaft angle because of the short wheelbase. And maybe clutch linkage if you keep a manual.

Quote Originally Posted by 56willys View Post
    That looks like a really nice jeep. The short front cj5s are pretty tight for engine swaps. Although I've seen Ford 289 cid V8s, Chevy LS, and even a big block chevy swapped in one without an over abundance of custom work. A small Block ford 289, 302, etc. or a Small block Chevy should swap in easily. With lots of aftermarket parts available. The main difficulty would be drive shaft angle because of the short wheelbase. And maybe clutch linkage if you keep a manual.
    Definitely keeping the manual and 4WD. This will be my son's vehicle when he moves up to college. I bought a 2010 tacoma 6-speed just to teach him how to drive a stick shift. That way he won't tear up something much harder and more expensive to fix.