Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overdrive help. popping out of gear and grinding.

I think it looks good 56. Some clean up as you said and reassembly with all the parts should do it. Some wear on the collar but no chipping.

The "stick out" everyone refers to, sets the total end play for the overdrive gearset. There needs to be some and not too much. Too much and it will pop out of gear. Too little and when it gets hot it will lock up. It doesn't need much, I don't know the spec, but I would guess it is somewhere around .010". You might be able to pull the PTO cover after install, and check the end play there.

Those were fantastic pictures - great job!

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Those were fantastic pictures - great job!
    Thank you sir! I lucked out with good lighting. Not really sure how/why but they did turn out good

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I think it looks good 56. Some clean up as you said and reassembly with all the parts should do it. Some wear on the collar but no chipping.

The "stick out" everyone refers to, sets the total end play for the overdrive gearset. There needs to be some and not too much. Too much and it will pop out of gear. Too little and when it gets hot it will lock up. It doesn't need much, I don't know the spec, but I would guess it is somewhere around .010". You might be able to pull the PTO cover after install, and check the end play there.
    I'll try to call Herm someday and get the correct specs and a synchro. Then see how it does.

You could even see the cat hair on them