Thread: 1948 Willys 4T Truck Carb

1948 Willys 4T Truck Carb

Guys: I just picked up a 1948 Willys 4T truck with the L134 four. It looks mostly original, but it does not have the original Carter WO 636S carb. What it does have is a Stromberg BXOV-2 14-22 carb. Is this a correct replacement carb for this vehicle? Thanks

IMG_4297.jpgIMG_4301.jpg

The Stromberg BXOV-2 was a good carb and was used on just about everything in the 30's and 40's. A popular carb on the 6 cylinder Chevy's. It should work just fine on the 134. Way better choice than a Solex. I think they used that carb on the Bantam's.

Nice Truck Man!!!!!!

Strombergs are very good, simple to tune carbs. In reading a bit online to verify my thinking, I ran across a couple of tips from the hot rodder folks. The rebuild kits are around $50 bucks which isn't too bad. Float adjustments are more trial and error than an exact science due to some kits do not even have a base measurement. Then be mindful that the needle and seat does not like over 2.5 psi of fuel pressure, much like the Carter carbs. All in all, they are great carbs.

Nice truck! From the under hood picture, it looks like the hood blew up in the driver's face at one time or another - that makes for a few exciting minutes.

It should clean up very nicely.

What heater does it have - there were a number of dealer options.
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 09-13-2023 at 08:45 AM.

Not sure what happened to the hood, it looks more like a crowbar job at the rear hinge plate as the rest of the hood looks pretty good. I have a same year Jeepster hood with the 3 hood emblem holes that match up with the Jeep Truck emblems, so I should be good there. Also, it does have a heater, but I don't think it is from the factory, see attached. I bought it because the cab is mostly rust free and the rest of the parts are more readily available. Thanks.

IMG_4336 - Copy.jpgAttachment 10830

That's one interesting project! I'll show that to my uncle. I remember he worked on a 4T Truck carb before. I'm coming over to help him install the rotors and steel wheels on the Wrangler tomorrow.

I now have the engine running on an external tank, and the carb is working just fine. The water pump is leaking, but I guess that is to be expected, so I have one on order. All the other parts, starter, generator, voltage regulator, etc. are working as they should. The tank and fuel lines are my next project, and the brakes need to be redone, but I think this one will be a keeper. I found a set of original two piece seat frames for it and it has the headliner bows intact. I also has a period instrument cluster for it. Thanks for all the help.

'48 Instrument CLuster

The cluster should look a lot like this. BUT - it may be different color gauges face or may even be engine turned vs. painted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 09-18-2023 at 01:26 PM.

The instrument cluster in the truck is mostly shot, see attached, but the one I have to replace it is pretty nice, see attached. I also have the early truck/sedan delivery horn button for it. Thanks.

IMG_4348.jpgIMG_4349.jpg