Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Rear axle

Nice! Wouldn't you love to hit that pattern the first time on all of them.

Yes I would! But you get plenty of practice getting it right when working on these.

One of the things we talked about that is worth repeating, the confusion. The chart was created in the service manual to try to clarify how to use the etchings in the field. The tendency was to look at the etching and think + means add shims and - means subtract and, oh no.

The etching indicates the Gleason machine set the dimension for best running +, (or further away from the center of the ring gear carrier), or - (which means closer to the center of the ring gear carrier). In order to achieve a + dimension you must subtract the amount indicated. This causes the dimension from the pinion to the center to increase as the pinion will drop further into the housing. So a lot of mechanics did it the wrong way!

I personally believe the misunderstanding about set up, lack of understanding of the gear pattern, the accuracy required by the etched pinion method on a new housing, and incorrect tools led to a lot of mechanics shying away from something they could have done well and made money off of. Good luck today finding a shop truly capable of doing the job correctly or, even understanding the process to do it correctly. For the time it takes to do the job, you just bolt in a complete assembly nowadays. This leaves everyone who cannot buy a new one out of luck. However, we have now seen a few people on this web site successfully get the job done correctly. The "Idea" behind a Hypoid Axle Gear Set is still the same. Proper pinion position and back lash achieves a good pattern for strength and noise. Proper bearing pre-load for good durability. Pass it on Boy's! The next generation is going to need you guy's.

As I'm continuing to put this axle back together when time permits... I just wanted to add a reminder that when installing the axle shafts use the same shim pack as when disassembled but make sure to check your end play. New bearings could be a little different size or any other adjustment could affect. And you may need to add or delete shims. My axle is only shimmied on one side. The spec is .001 to .006 end play for axle shaft. Just thought I would include this reminder. The axle is all back together and be ready to go back under the ole girl. Hopefully this weekend.

Question about brake line bleeding.
    Has anybody out there used the power bleeder ? Was curious if it works? worth the investment? More trouble than worth?
    I've bleed a lot of brake lines, usually need a volunteer that I volunteer. Never used this device and was curious.
    Any thoughts or experiences with throw them at me. Thanks

I have and have used a Mighty Vac, A Blue Point pressurized bleeder and an assistant. I always find myself using the assistant. It is just way faster than any other way. Now having said that, on modern vehicles with Anti-Lock braking systems, a pressure or vacuum bleeder might be all that will get the air out. Further some Anti-Locks require "cycling" of the Anti-Lock motors.

The pressure bleeder is awesome if you are bleeding a room full of cars and trucks. One person can easily bleed a system, once set up in a few minutes. There is no question with a pressure bleed that the system is free of air. It is also quite effective at changing or flushing a brake system. They are large capacity. The Vacuum "Mighty Vac" is a bit cumbersome I think. I do not find it to be anywhere near as effective as a pressure bleeder. I have bled brakes by myself with one more than once. For the amount of time it takes me to get the big pressure bleeder out and set up, I usually will go for the Mighty-Vac if I am alone. If I am not alone, in my opinion nothing beats an assistant!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 11-12-2023 at 12:30 PM.

I use a mighty vac set that pulls a vacuum at the bleeder and since I work alone most days, it does fine in my opinion. We use a pressure bleeder for our wet brake systems at work, and it works really well, even with an ABS system.

Was curious... saw various parts suppliers sold them, around $80. Thought that was a little pricey. And at that the thing should be simple and work like a charm. My assistant only cost a couple of adult beverages........ after work done of course.
    Thanks for the comments guys, like I said was just curious.

A trusty assistant would be a more precise and cheaper way to go.

And a lot more fun when you're done. The adult beverage cuts the taste of brake fluid you always seem to get in your mouth.