Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear axle

The mud is clear! There is all kinds of info out there on the WWW that's for sure.

You can always reference the Dana Factory Manual to check. This is for the 44 models but, the process are the same. The torque specs would have to be adjusted depending on the model.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...r-Carrier-Type

That is the manual I have on my bench.... others got pushed to floor. Lol

This axle redo is uncharted water for me, I will say this. I was pretty unsure if I could or should. Talked with a few shade tree mechanics, did a lot of homework printed out some service manuals. Plenty of research before I jumped in. That helped build my confidence I could. Sure wish I had a mentor standing over my shoulder.... well I think I got it, feel some relief I did ok. One thing for sure, a person will get plenty of practice disassembling and reassembling to get what you need. Lol. A few times I questioned myself and info I had and turned to this forum,. Read past articles on this topic and asked questions. I'm sure thankful there is a Dana expert available to answer questions.

So here is where I'm at.... pinion depth set at 2.624. Rotational torque at a hair over 20 in lbs backlash is between. 006 and .007 I think I'm satisfied with my numbers all looks and feels good. See if I can include pics of gear markings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thought I would share this info and pics and see what the thoughts are.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skboyd View Post
    pinion depth set at 2.624. Rotational torque at a hair over 20 in lbs backlash is between. 006 and .007 I think I'm satisfied with my numbers all looks and feels good. See if I can include pics of gear markings.
    Scott, Is this a new ring and pinion? Is your pinion marked with a "+ or -" number etched by hand on the end? How did you measure the pinion depth? I am thinking the coast side looks good but the drive side is too deep in the ring gear. It is very close however. It would work OK just like that. The pinion needs to move out a little to get the contact to move a little closer to the middle. The backlash looks like it likes the .007", but that might change as you move the pinion out. I am thinking about .005" or so more shim and maybe open the lash up just a touch if it doesn't move a little if you add shims to the pinion.

Not sure of your process Scott but be sure you have the preload set on the carrier when checking the pattern. Also, how are you loading the ring gear? I like to use a nylon door stop looking wedge. The pattern is easier to read with a good load on it. You could try slightly thinning your marking paint. It looks like it is sticking a little on you.

Are you using "Dummy Bearings"? Let me know your process Scott. I am always interested in how the real world gets the job done. The "beam style" axles are always picked on for their difficulty to set up. With the right tools and practice a seasoned axle tech stops hating and loves the strength a beam style axle provides. You are not far away. If you get into a situation you think you really want another set of eyes on, throw it in a pickup and bring it up to Toledo, you and I can take a look.

Dr. Dana is the best in the business. He can have you up and going in a short amount of time. If I were stumped on something engine or axle related, I wouldn't think twice with hauling my junk the 700 miles or so up to his garage for him to look at.

gm, you are way to kind!

Doc Dana

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    gm, you are way to kind!
    I have seriously thought about taking the '48 over to Doc Dana's to have him do an office call on that transmission with the balky synchronizers. (It would be worth it for the smoked brisket...).

Bring it Larry! The smoker is always ready to go.

Actually a trip up there would be Great. I would love for you to look at it for me. Would definitely make me feel better. Would appreciate it so much. Oh! Did someone say smoker? Sounding better. Lol