Thread: Has anyone added a sight glass on the spicer 18 or the t-90

Has anyone added a sight glass on the spicer 18 or the t-90

It's just an idea i had to make it easy to check level and condition of gear oil.
    I'm toying with the idea of replacing the pto cover with a piece of tempered glass or something clear.

Why Not? I have seen clear valve covers on engines.

Just remember, the P.T.O. cover is protective when the vehicle is off road. I have seen some substantial dents in covers on the P.T.O., axles and under body components. If the cover were to break it would immediately dump all the lube.

Honestly a piece of thick plexiglass on the pto cover would work great. It would Give you a large viewing area. And see the top and bottom level of oil. If you just open the filler hole. You'll only see the top of the oil. Which is the cleanest, since gunk and metal shavings would sink to the bottom. If you had a viewing hole in the bottom it would get blocked by gunk. And you wouldn't see through, kinda defeating the whole idea. The pto cover is large enough to see both top and bottom oil, and any thing hindering visibly will slide off.

[QUOTE=56willys;22866]Honestly a piece of thick plexiglass on the pto cover would work great. It would Give you a large viewing area. And see the top and bottom level of oil. If you just open the filler hole. You'll only see the top of the oil. Which is the cleanest, since gunk and metal shavings would sink to the bottom. If you had a viewing hole in the bottom it would get blocked by gunk. And you wouldn't see through, kinda defeating the whole idea. The pto cover is large enough to see both top and bottom oil, and any thing hindering visibly will slide off.

THANK'S THAT'S ALL THE ENCOURAGEMENT I NEEDED I'M GOING TO GIVE IT A TRY

This will be interesting to follow along with. Take lots of photos of how you go about making the cover, and document what you find after running.