Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bantam Jeep Heritage Fest 2024!!!

Hahah! 56 your just seeing a little "Jeep Love" in that smoke. Flossy just wants to make sure you are paying attention.

You might have something... a little 30w coating on the meat couldnt hurt! Well......

Mmmmm, hickory oil smoked brisket with 87 octane bbg sauce. What a delicacy!

After a couple hundred miles, The "jake fixed" one piston and compression ring may oblige you in making a tiny little bit of smoke. To be honest, I've reached my saturation point on eating diesel/JP8 soot from having my office above the dyno shop floor, so I'll stick with mother nature fueled smoked meats.

I'll bet gm! We will stick to the "hickory" smoke.

Diesel smoked meat - A Sea Story

There was this one time when we were delivering an old destroyer(we were selling it to Turkey) from New York to Mayport, Florida. On Saturday afternoon the ship decided to have a cookout for the crew - grilled steaks and burgers cooked on the fantail on a grill. Now a day out of New York is just off Cape Hatteras and it wasn't really smooth sailing - not a hurricane but that old ship was moving bit.

Twenty plus years and I'd never been seasick - so it seemed like no big deal. I had chow - the steak was typically Navy tough and it had been marinated in something, but I'd had a lot worse. About an hour later, my stomach started to churn and in about another half hour - it rebelled. Between that piece of meat and the rolling, pitching and yawing - I paid a penance for making fun of seasickness for those twenty-plus years.

But - it turned out the ship had an epidemic of the same thing - Old Salts and Landlubbers alike. After a bit of investigation, the culprit turned up. Nobody had any charcoal lighter to start the grill and someone had the bright idea to use Navy Distillate Fuel as charcoal starter. That stuff doesn't burn off (it's close to JP-5) and the "marinade" taste was unburned fuel greasing up the meat.

I agree with GMWillys - I'll pass on the petroleum marinade....

OMG!!!! That is a scary story Senior Chief! Man that could have gotten real serious. It is a wonder you didnt end up with a bunch of souls in the hospital. I ate hamburgers and fries with greasy hands and ended up with clean finger tips, but I never ate meat grilled with JP-5! You are hard core Senior Chief, hard core.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 01-08-2024 at 07:18 PM.

LarrBeard, we had a similar instance when I worked for the county. Our Squad car mechanic brought in an old gas grill to refurbish for our weekly game feed, to move away from everything being trudged out of a crock pot. He spent a week patching and I made him a set of grill grates in the fab shop. That was all well and fine, but the first time we fired it up and he whipped up a bunch of elk burgers. Now most in the shop liked their meats done on the barely dead where I liked the life grilled out to a slight pink. By the end of the shift, everyone was hurting pretty bad. Long story short, when I made the grates, and handed them off to the squad car guy, he coated them not with cooking oil to season, but 10W30. It made for a bad Friday.

Oh man, you guys went to the nightmare cookouts!

Bubba Sez:

Whatever don't kill us makes us smarter the next time....

Amen. To this day, I'm suspicious of other peoples cooking ability.