Thread: rusty rim stud holes

rusty rim stud holes

Hey Guys..
    I bought a set of 16" rims and tires last summer/fall but the holes for the studs are a little corroded...Anyone have that problem? Maybe a 60 degree reamer to just clean them up? They really scar up the lug nuts. I looked at KW but they don't seem to have a reamer(?)..Thanks, Dave

It is a 60 deg angle on the lug nut Dave. You cannot open it up very far. A few thousands of an inch. If you go to far, the lug nut will go to deep. It opens up quickly. A 60 degree end mill would do the trick. There are carbide cones and you might be able to find a 60 deg stone. with a stone you will have to watch out for wear of the stone changing the angle.

https://www.dedeco.com/products/industrial-carbide-burs/60-degree-cone-1/

If they don't need reshaping, I would first try some sandpaper on a cartridge roll.

https://www.unitedindustrialsales.co...dge-rolls.aspx
    Last edited by bmorgil; 01-06-2024 at 06:53 PM.

I agree with Bmorgil, and use a 60 degree stone to clean up the surface rather than using a cutter. If you had access to a vertical mill and a 60 degree cutter, then I would weld a couple passes in the bolt holes then machine them back down to the correct thickness and angle.

Hey thanks,, I used the sandpaper on a cartridge roll with my cordless drill....It worked great...I cleaned up the nuts on my lathe...All seems good now...Dave

Good deal. Glad you were able to save them.