Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member / New Willys Wagon Owner

New member / New Willys Wagon Owner

Hey All!

Just joined today after picking up a 1954 2 dr Wagon with the 4 cylinder, 4x4 this weekend. I have a lot to learn about these but ready for a good project. It is in decent shape. Not looking to restore but get it back mechanically sound to drive around. It runs but barely and smokes, will need a rebuild to get it back to normal. Running gears and 3 speed trans seem to be okay. Any ideas on different options of obtaining a rebuild kit? Thinking this is the F34 motor. I see different prices on rebuild kits depending on where you get them. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome, glad to have you on board. It's always good to see a new member join the willys community. That looks to be a very solid start to a project. Being 1954 you should have an f head I believe. This is a great site with some truly knowledgeable folks who will help you with any problems you run into. Keep us updated with any progress. Theses little willys engines are very simple. And if the rest of the drivetrain and body is solid. It shouldn't take you long before it's out on the road again.

" It runs but barely and smokes, will need a rebuild to get it back to normal."

That sounds typical. Start with engine fluid changes, ignition tune up and a carburetor rebuild. Change out the lube in all of the gearboxes - strange things lurk in the bottom of gearboxes.

Once you get past that, give the engine a good looking over and see how bad compression is and go from there.

Welcome! Man that is one fine looking wagon there! You are going to love the project. I love that wagon. gmwillys on this forum, is putting one back together right now. I left you some suggestions on your other post. https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...3016#post23016

Here is gm's,
    https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...-Wagon-refresh
    Last edited by bmorgil; 01-09-2024 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Added links

Welcome JW, We are sure glad to have you.

It does look like you have a good start to a project. As Bmorgil said, I'm in the process of welding in new floors in our wagon when time permits. LarrBeard has put up some good starting places to see what you have going on, and Bmorgil has you set up with some good internal engine advice. Both will offer up great advice, and they know what they are talking about.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 01-09-2024 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks for the help! Yeah, so someone tried to save this wagon yrs ago. The good and the bad is they put a rhino liner coating which overt time hides rust. I recently just fell for the look of these although I am not a jeep guy. They just look cool! I want to get the main things working so i can drive it short range. Its a pre-retirement project.

Thanks for the help! Not a Willys guy but I am now. I just fell for the look of these recently.

I love the wagons. They do have quite a bit more work to find! The panels are just plain cool.

The wagons will grow on you in a hurry, plus you don't see them in any quantity out and about, so they garner attention wherever you go.

No doubt! I stopped in to get gas with this thing on trailer, guys started pulling out phones to video.