The TIG does shine when it comes to tacking two different thicknesses together. The pinpoint accuracy of the tungsten electrode does make a world of difference. Oxy acetylene was how we learned how to weld in school. The classroom only had one MIG, and one TIG machine. You had to be a real teacher's pet to even get close to either. After the Oxy, we could then hop on the old Lincoln AC/DC tombstones. The only caveat was that all stick welding has to be done over head. The old crusty drill sergeant shop teacher didn't allow beanies or gloves because only girls wear gloves and bonnets, (coming from a guy who cut off four fingers in a radial arm safe) so overhead was fun to master welding through the pain of burns. To this day, I only use one glove as a heat shield and helps to slide better on the metal as a brace. I've fixed tons of copper radiators by brazing holes shut when I ran a lot of derby cars. Aluminum is no sweat either, except for the heat dissipates so much quicker than with any other materials.