Thread: 1951 Willys value?

1951 Willys value?

Hello,
    I’m helping a relative sell a
    1951 Willy’s pickup. 4WD and small block Chevy.
    Does anyone know a fair starting price?
    All help is very much appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome Planer.

There are several factors that could help to determine what the truck can sell for.

1. Location. Your geographical location makes a difference. If there are a lot of trucks in your region, then prices are fairly reasonable to buy.
    2. Condition. Depending on how much rust is present. Clean and rust free is worth a premium price if running, driving, and stopping.
    3. Originality. How much butchery has been done over the years. Original engine and driveline doesn't always mean better value. Same thing applies to a repower with a modern driveline, (how well was it done). On trucks, having the original tailgate can make or break a good selling price.
    4. Ebay and TV auctions. Do not base your truck off of what you see on Ebay and the televised auction shows like Barrett Jackson or Mechum. You'll be disappointed in the reality of the buyers' market.

Tips: Take lots of photos when presenting. Buyers like to see all aspects of your vehicle. Show the pluses and the minuses so the buyer knows exactly what they are buying. I know I pick through photos pretty close to see if I am really interested in tackling such a project. This helps to reduce the number of correspondents from tire kickers to actual prospects, (will not stop all dumb questions).

Take time to research marketplace and other online local selling points to see if there are any like trucks available for an idea of a price point. Kaiser Willys on their main page has a Jeep for sale for anything Willys Jeep.
    https://willysforsale.com/ads/

eWillys is another good source to research and to put up an add when you decide to sell. This site will put your truck in front of a nation wide audience.
    http://www.ewillys.com/
    Last edited by gmwillys; 02-12-2024 at 02:06 AM.

Planer: I think you got some good advice from gmwillys. The only things I would add is a clean title in the name of the owner is a very bid deal. In many states it is very difficult to title a vehicle without a clean title transfer. Also, if it has front locking hubs, an overdrive, and/or a PTO with a winch or rear belt drum these items are worth listing. They can add big dollars to the price.

Good points there dgoodenow. I'm blessed to be in a location that doesn't require a title on anything 1980 and older, so I often forget about it. A signed bill of sale is all we need to register.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Good points there dgoodenow. I'm blessed to be in a location that doesn't require a title on anything 1980 and older, so I often forget about it. A signed bill of sale is all we need to register.
    What? I need to be there. Imagine getting a random Jeep from a junkyard and making it legal just like that! Here in PA I've heard of people having trouble even with a title.
    Last edited by 56willys; 02-13-2024 at 01:17 AM.

I think these folks have some great tips. It is hard to tell a true value for anything. The only real value is what someone will give you. I can say that looking around on marketplace, Craigslist etc.
    for similar jeeps will get you a good start. Like the other guys have said, location, condition, engine mods, quality of build all play key factors.

Good luck, hope it works out well!

The value of this type of vehicle is almost always achieved at some form of auction. Either online or in person. The title is imperative for maximum value. Some states require them for sure, and the value in those states would be greatly affected.