Thread: 1948 Cal Willys Front End Issue

1948 Cal Willys Front End Issue

So I ordered the KW ten leaf springs to put on the front of my 48 PU. They came with some bushing thing for the front side that shouldnt have been there. According to KW they are there from the manufacturer and used to bend the leaf around. They were a real pain to get out as I dont have a full garage and the tools necessary to make this an easy job. After some inventive tool making I got each one out in about an hour. Just a heads up. Additionally when I put the springs on I had clearance issues with the tie rod. See pics below. I remembered seeing some spacers on the old spings and installed them on the new ones and everything was good. I was just happy the U bolts were long enough. Anyway just wanted to let people know who are in the same boat I am considering doing the 10 leaf upgrade to their vehicles. BTW there is no mention of these spacers in any literature I have read so far. The ones I put in were the old ones which I powder coated before installing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You do great work....I have plans to up grade the springs on my Jeepster also lift it a small amount for larger tires and wheels.....right now I have three leaf springs on the back very weak , so this is a much needed up grade....I will soon upload some pictures ....

My truck came with a Dana 60 rear. Already has a 10 leaf spring upgrade I believe (haven't actually counted them yet). Should all be good just needs cleaned up and painted I hope. I thought that about the front and one of the springs was broken. This truck is going to be too stiff I think. Should make for an interesting ride over the crappy roads around my house. Do you have some pics of it now. Would love to see the before and after shots? Always great to see what people start with vs end product.
    Last edited by 1948 Cal Willys Pickup; 07-22-2013 at 01:42 PM.

I have pictures , lots of them I just haven't be able to upload from this IPad....I was instructed to use the laptop to post the pictures....I will try to post some pictures this weekend....