Thread: 48 Pick Up Truck Headlight Buckets

48 Pick Up Truck Headlight Buckets

I thought I would share this with anyone who was interested in powder coating at home. These headlight buckets were my third attempt ever at powder coating at home. I dont have a lot of money so everything I am working on is on the cheap. Originally I started with Harbor Freights powder coating system and while it worked it created a lot of heart ache. Mostly the problem was getting the compressor down to a sustainable 5 psi. Sounds silly right but that was a big issue. Gun kept spraying too hard and knocking off the powder. I then purchased Craftsman powder coating gun. It was super simple and looks kind of cheesy but it worked great and was 1/3 the cost of Harbor Freights system. I also created my oven oven system. Got an old air tank from the junk yard and cut a door in the side. Got a burner from the local flea market and put it in the bottom. Picked up a thermostat from Wally world and I was ready to go. All in all spent about $50 bucks for the oven. Anyway you can see the outcome in the pictures. I love it. In the picture are both buckets but they looked the same when they came out. If you are interested in powder coating at home give it a try. Its way cheaper than taking it somewhere.Headlight housing front.jpgHeadlight housing front.jpg

Man your truck looks great and for the way you are saving money and sharing your ideas is a great thing as well....I to have very little money to put into my Jeepster and want so badly to restore it so others can enjoy it like I am wanting ....patience is against me ....I was told once that immediate gratification isn't fast enough for me ...lol....o well I am trying
    I have three fun projects that I took on , the 1970 Jeepster being the latest one....I have a 1964 MFG boat , and a F932 JD lawnmower.....my wife says that I have ADD or something so she must like what I am doing....

Those are three uniquely different projects. We are the same breed I think as I also get myself into too many projects. Besides the Willys I have a 1940's Airway Sanitizor vacuum I am restoring. I purchased it when I was buying the water tank for the powder coating oven. I don't know why I am stuck in that era. They just made so many good things that last back then. I think our wives are the same breed as well.

Yes it sure looks that way....my wife tells my all the time that there is a lot more of my kind out there ..she laughs ...me too