Thread: Rear axel pinion seal installation

Rear axel pinion seal installation

1954 Wagon..Hey folks! I am replacing the rear pinion seal as it was leaking on this Dana 44. Before I install it, is there anything else to replace or need to know other than torque it to 200-220ft lbs. Doesnt look like anything that I can see other than put it back together, wasnt sure if the big washer behind the seal was okay to reuse? I have no plans on bearing replacement now, just the seal. Asking because sometimes there are washers that should be replaced...Thanks!

Dr. Dana will be along to give the best advice, but in my experience as long as you do not have unnatural pinion movement from a worn-out bushing, you should have no problems just replacing the pinion seal.

As gm said, it should be pretty straight forward. If the yoke is still on, it should be on fairly tight. It is a press fit. You should need some form of puller to get the yoke off. If it comes off without any press fit, it should be replaced. A pinion yoke needs to be a press fit. Check the yoke seal surface for wear and repair it with a wear sleeve if necessary. Use the old nut to pull the yoke on, and a new nut for the final torque. The washer can be reused.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 02-28-2024 at 11:49 AM.