Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching to Modern Locking Hubs?

Switching to Modern Locking Hubs?

Any thoughts or reviews on what brands are out there to switch from these old lockomatics to a more modern locking hub? I have seen a few but curious if anyone has results with the Rugged Ridge brand and experience with others. After finding 2 different bearings on mine with different nuts, I can see why most just upgrade, but these were in good shape so was going to just try and keep them until now. Here are the 2 different roller bearings that came out. One with the special locknut , larger bearing, and one on the drivers side with smaller bearing using regular spindel nuts.

20240301_152216.jpg

I replaced an old set of Dualmatics with new Warns. Haven’t done any serious off roading with these but Warns I had on other vehicles never gave me any trouble.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

The Warn units are still hard to beat. The 29062 is the one you need.

https://www.warn.com/premium-locking-hub-29062

Thanks for the tip! Any idea if that smaller bearing in the pic is available? It was installed with the 2 regular spindel nuts on drivers side and seemed to be an okay setup although I wasnt there when all this was done obviously. Was that a correct installation back then using a smaller bearing and the 2 spindel nuts?

Where did you find them available?

I don't think the parts for the old Warn hub locks are available anymore. It would be hit or miss with the internet searches. I had an original set that was really beat up. I could not find any parts.

Quote Originally Posted by JW1954WAGON View Post
    Where did you find them available?
    If you mean the new Warns, I bought mine at my local NAPA 4-5 years ago. They were also available on Amazon then. I haven’t looked recently.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

I bought a set for my latest project on eBay for $175.00 but they weren’t Warn they were Mile Markers and they worked and looked Great!!!
    You just have to make sure they fit your year and axle splines.
    IMG_1595.jpg

Thanks! I had seen those and good to hear some feedback. Found some Warn Hubs, we will see if they actually have the stock and ship this week. If not, may try those Mile Markers.

Yeah, a lot of the 29062 Warn stock is out since then. I will keep looking