Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford GPW motor stall when warm

Nice looking Jeep!

I am wondering if it didn't pick up some crud in the carb. It could have junk floating around in the fuel bowl.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-25-2024 at 03:21 PM.

That’s a good possibility too. Especially if it was parked with E-10 in the gas tank.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

My grandpa religiously only ran 100% gas in it. And I did drain the tank just to be safe before I started tinkering with it again. And filled back up with 100% gas. I hope to report back soon with new information.

I am just guessing that's even it, but it could be. Any fuel sitting in the carb for 5 years will usually evaporate out. The volatile ingredients go first, and the detergents and additives usually dry up into something not nice. If that occurred, it could be gumming up the float and/or needle valve.

I was able to adjust the choke and keep it running after it warmed up..making some progress!! However it did seem to sputter and die off after a couple more minutes - warm motor and choke off. Did continue to smell very rich. It will start back up and repeat sputtering off after another minute.

Should I try to keep making adjustment to the carb? I thought about putting an inline 12v fuel pump to keep 2.5-3 psi to ensure fuel is pressurized and making it to the carb correctly to rule if fuel pump might be a culprit.

It’s just odd that it runs great during warm up (half choke). Seems if it was fuel related and not getting enough gas to carb that this period of run time would also be an issue.

A quick and easy check/ or farmer fix that I would attempt first would be to pull the air horn off of the carburetor, then at a high idle cup your hand over the throat of the carb to cut off the air flow until it almost dies. If you have crud in the idle circuit, it tends to get sucked out with the vacuum spike with no air flow. It may take a couple of tries, plus I use a dose of either Seafoam or Berryman's B12 fuel additive in the fuel tank to loosen the crud. Fuel pumps typically work or they don't, but a tattle tell sign to see if your fuel pump is leaking internally is to pull the dip stick to see if the oil is being diluted by fuel by way of the diaphragm leaking into the crankcase. There is a weep hole that the fuel should leak out to the outside, but not always.

I agree with gm, it looks like there is crud in the carb. If the trick gm proposes doesn't get it done, it sounds like a carb tear down is in order.

When it is sputtering when "Warm" and the choke "Completely Off", what is the engine water temperature reading on the gauge? Are you saying it wont idle when it is warm it just dies? Or, you cant keep it running after it warms? If you hold the throttle up a little will it keep running?
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-28-2024 at 06:32 AM.

Just thinking of ideas; could the float be out of adjustment enough to make it not run?

Another thing, what carb do you have? If it is a Solex, I have heard of people having trouble getting it started when its warm. Because it has too much fuel, since it boils out of the bowl when warm.

It is a new Solex carb that i replaced the older solex with. could possibly be that the float is that out of adjustment on the new carb that i put on.

it idled after warmed up yesterday after i was able to adjust the choke so the choke would be completely off. water temperature stays around 180 when warm. i just cant seem to keep it idling very long after the choke is off and the motor is warm. throttle response seemed to not make a difference, when it wanted to bog there was no saving it - which is why i am back thinking its a fuel issue.

I have read talk of the new solex carbs being picky about how much fuel pressure they need. Some people have had to run a fuel pressure regulator between the fuel pump and the carb. I will see if I can find it but it seems like it was 2 psi or less.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A