Thread: Clutch questions

Clutch questions

So here's my dilemma
    My throw out bearing is to far away from the pressure plate, adjustment is all the way. Never throw away old parts because the new cable I got is a good inch longer than the cable that the jeep originally had, so that should be fixed
    The driveshafts are disconnected as I just got the engine running after having it rebuilt. What I noticed is with trans in first, engine running, I was under jeep and pulled parking brake lever which stoped the drum turning but the engine didn't stall. Putting it in forth and doing the same thing it did stall
    My question is does anyone think the disc is jammed up on the trans spline
    Trans went in fine but I did pull it in about a 1/4 with bell housing bolts but there was no real resistance
    Do I need to pull transfer case/ trans? Thoughts appreciated

In first your motor had the power to overcome the brake. In fourth it could not. It sounds like the engine is running well and the park brake is functioning, carry on Steve! The clutch is engaged.

Thank you, at my age and laying on my back, the thought of pulling the trans and transfer case down again wasnt sounding appealing

Sounds like you are good to go. The experts say that one should never draw a transmission bell housing up to the engine with hardware, and in most cases that is true if you do not have a mechanic's "feel". In heavy equipment where you split a tractor in half to access the clutch, I would often use large Channel Lock pliers to wiggle the transmission into place. Most dealerships had a rail system that you would mount the engine to, along with the rear end section on a cradle. There were large adjustment screws that would aid you in sticking the two back together.