Thread: Ham’s 48 - Waking Up from Hibernation

Hybrid View

It's only down in spirit. I have a spare starter and a generator that can be used in a pinch, but neither are direct replacements. The generator is clocked different on the front mount, and requires a longer upper bracket. The starter is a refurbished one, but it requires a solenoid or a momentary switch to work. I'm not giving up the floor actuator. Starter and generator/alternator rebuilders are going the way of radiator repair people and the Dodo birds. This guy is very independent. He only works a couple hours a day, a few days a week. He stays covered up in work.

The main criteria for me was to find a Willys that still had the floor actuator. I wouldn't give that up for all the tea in china!

It is getting very hard to find the shops we were so used to in the 50's 60' and 70's. Modern methods and "replace it" technology has lead to a different way. No longer do you diagnose and repair the component. The process of identify the location and replace all potential causes is the new way. Components are becoming less and less rebuilt, and more and more replaced. You go to the dealer, pay a large fee to hook up a diagnostic terminal, and the machine says replace this. If that doesn't work the trouble begins. This is when the Technician says, I need an expert!