Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ham’s 48 - Waking Up from Hibernation

gm I think you are totally all over it. The CAN system certainly has increased the cost and complexity of a relatively straight forward device, the pickup truck. My 1977 does everything my 2015 does, my 2015 does everything a 2024 will do. If the headlights don't work on my 77' first guess is the fuse. In my 2015 hmm???. In a 2024, ya gotta have a diagnostic hook up at the dealer. If I want to "tune" my 77' some carb jets, a screwdriver, a few wrenches, and a timing light should be a great start. On the 2015, I have to hook it up to my laptop with an expensive program loaded. The CAN system on the 2015 interacts with the anti-locks and much more. If you wish to tune for a little more driver control, watch out the CAN system may take over and apply the brakes. Working and tuning on modern vehicles is beginning to feel like the movie 2001 a A Space Odyssey.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 04-17-2024 at 09:13 AM.

And the dealer can’t figure out a piston has a hole in it because the computer doesn’t tell them that’s why a modern engine isn’t running. They will replace computers and other components more than once before someone thinks to dust off the compression tester.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Quote Originally Posted by 51 CJ3 View Post
    ....They will replace computers and other components more than once before someone thinks to dust off the compression tester.
    You are sure right there Jeff! A compression tester? Is it Bluetooth??? Will it work on my IPhone?

With so many drive line components, in our case at work(four differentials, four drive shafts, eight axle shafts, eight wheel ends, eight road grader run flat tires, two axles that turn, eight variable adjustable nitrogen actuated struts, a transfer case, a Cat C9 engine, and Allison transmission) you have plenty of chances for vibration. The first question I would ask is where do you feel the vibration when operating? (Your feet? Your butt? Or your hands?). Depending on where you feel it is where to start your troubleshooting.

Great write up! Felt like I was right there with you!

Thank you sir for the compliment. I'm either a storyteller of BS'er depending on who is making the judgement.

I'll vote for the storyteller.... It's almost time for the GOAT tale to resurface.

How true... Only Larry can tell the story of the G.O.A.T.! The best part of the GOAT story, is how Larry, regardless of the repulsion from the duty at hand, persevered! That's why they made him Senior Chief. I think the SEALS would be proud of his endurance capability under smell. He really wanted that heater.

Senior Chief is the toughest rascal around. No job too tough or too stinky to provide heat for Hamm.