Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ignition switch removal question

Ignition switch removal question

Can someone tell me how to remove this ignition switch? It has a very small bezel that doesn’t unscrew. No openings or slots to pop it off either. The switch is off at 12 o’clock and on at 3 o’clock. It also turns to the 9 o’clock position but that doesn’t seem to do anything.
    IMG_0148.jpg

I haven’t seen one quite like that. I would guess there is a big nut on the back side that can be backed off to let the switch come through the panel far enough to get a hold of the bezel and remove it.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Todd, I think that switch might be spring loaded from behind. If there isn't a large nut like Jeff suggested, I think you need to push the switch from the back of the dash forward and turn it to unlock the bezel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well no dice on spring loaded but once I found a path to the back of the dash through the maze of wires and connectors I see a thin round collar with slots 180 degrees from each other threaded to the back of the dash. How the heck I’m going to grab ahold of it is the question.

IMG_2820.jpg

There is probably a spanner wrench to fit it but I think I would see if I could knock it loose with a long flat screwdriver.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

I am liking Jeff's long flat screwdriver idea.

Thanks guys. I think the screwdriver might be the way to go too. For now I think I’m going to leave it be and buy a new ignition switch plus I need a new headlight switch. I want to come up with a plan to fix this wiring, like take off one wire at a time and trace and replace.

I’ve been looking at all the wiring now and found so many wires that have have multiple splices in the run. And the wire isn’t the same color after each splice! Who does that?? Also mix in the original cloth covered wire that’s all faded and dirty…fun times are ahead!

It sounds like Bubba has been hard at work using whatever he could scrape up to make repairs.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Quote Originally Posted by 51 CJ3 View Post
    It sounds like Bubba has been hard at work using whatever he could scrape up to make repairs.
    Evidently

At least Bubba used different colors... I had one that ALL the wires were blue....and wrapped with blue marking tape.