Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hodakaguy M38 - Pics and Misc Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    The detailing is coming along nicely HKG! That is a show stopper no question. One for the museum.

Thanks Mate, I enjoy detail work. Would have been quicker bit the battery box corrosion set me back a little on time, important to get that taken care of though.

Hodakaguy

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    The battery boxes look better than new! Well done!
    Thanks Mate!

Hodakaguy

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    WOW! Congratulations on the find. It sounds like it was an interesting trip getting it back home.

You are doing all of the right things with lubricants and the little details that often get overlooked - textbook.

Here are the details on your radio set:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/milita...er_rt_6_2.html
    https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/milita..._pp_112gr.html

It is a post WWII radio (circa 1949 - 1950) that covers a limited frequency range (27-39 MHz) as an FM voice radio. At the low end it will help interfere with CB radios (but not talk to them as they use AM and single sideband modes of operation). It will operate in the 10-meter amateur band from 28.3 to 29.7 MHz, but an amateur license is required to do so.

Above 30 MHz you are into the military VHF-FM band (30 - 88 MHz, civilian operation is not allowed except for some very specialized applications). It is still serviceable by a moderately skilled technician and most parts are available if you go scrounging for them. The PP-112 power supply used a number of vibrators (no - not that kind of vibrator) and those are probably the least reliable and hardest item to find now.
    Really appreciate the info on the radio. I don't plan on using it but love knowing the history and info so I can answer questions and know more about the Jeep. My uncle is into ham Radios and will love the info as well. Thanks for taking the time to share!

Hodakaguy

More than you really want to know:

The whole rig in your Jeep is a Radio Set AN/VRC-9. It consisted of the the two big boxes; the RT-67/GR and the PP-112 power supply as well as several cables, mounts, speakers, handsets and a long three section whip antenna on an antenna tuner/mounting base. The set also included several nomenclatured canvas bags used as covers and spares bags.

I learned that depending on the type of unit for which the radio set was supporting (infantry, artillery or engineers) different receiver-transmitters covering different frequency bands were used. Your set, the VRC-9, was the artillery version as you mentioned.

It is very unusual to see a complete set with all of the cables, bags, covers and handsets. Enjoy!

Some radio units when presented at rallies/shows have recordings of fire missions, (air strikes or artillery) playing over the speakers in a loop. It adds an extra level of presentation to your display, with little more than an MP3 player tied into the speakers.

[QUOTE=LarrBeard;24300]More than you really want to know:

The whole rig in your Jeep is a Radio Set AN/VRC-9. It consisted of the the two big boxes; the RT-67/GR and the PP-112 power supply as well as several cables, mounts, speakers, handsets and a long three section whip antenna on an antenna tuner/mounting base. The set also included several nomenclatured canvas bags used as covers and spares bags.

I learned that depending on the type of unit for which the radio set was supporting (infantry, artillery or engineers) different receiver-transmitters covering different frequency bands were used. Your set, the VRC-9, was the artillery version as you mentioned.

It is very unusual to see a complete set with all of the cables, bags, covers and handsets. Enjoy![/QUOTE

Appriciate the info, thank you for the post!

Hodakaguy

Some radio units when presented at rallies/shows have recordings of fire missions, (air strikes or artillery) playing over the speakers in a loop. It adds an extra level of presentation to your display, with little more than an MP3 player tied into the speakers.
    I like it! A small Bluetooth battery powered speaker placed right behind the correct speaker would work great. Now to find some recorded artillery radio transmissions to convert to mp3.

Hodakaguy

A quick Mrs. Google search came up with an hour's worth of combat radio chatter. With further digging, I'm sure you could come up with artillery specific chatter, since there are files for air strikes and battlefield. The rub may be that Korean traffic may be harder to come by, to where the Vietnam era traffic is easier to come up with. For all practical purposes, it really wouldn't matter to what era the recording would be from, unless you were to present your vehicle at a MVPA event for judging. Those guys are pretty picky and would deduct points for incorrect presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzG4RZNLuUk

A quick Mrs. Google search came up with an hour's worth of combat radio chatter. With further digging, I'm sure you could come up with artillery specific chatter, since there are files for air strikes and battlefield. The rub may be that Korean traffic may be harder to come by, to where the Vietnam era traffic is easier to come up with. For all practical purposes, it really wouldn't matter to what era the recording would be from, unless you were to present your vehicle at a MVPA event for judging. Those guys are pretty picky and would deduct points for incorrect presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzG4RZNLuUk
    I found this short Artillary chatter today. If you trim out the very first part where they say AK47 it's not bad. May loop this small clip till I find a longer one. https://youtu.be/7mPWdLJjDQA?si=x_3PdyZAKfqcKwXb
    Last edited by Hodakaguy; 05-07-2024 at 10:16 PM.

Hearing some radio chatter as you walk by an old military jeep would be so cool.

I talked to a gentleman with an MB who made a replica machine gun water cannon. When people walk by and you soak them with water. Or you could go with the real deal, my local armory had a semi auto 50 bmg M2 for sale a year ago, it was only like 6 times what I paid for my Jeep!