Thread: Clutch adjustment

Clutch adjustment

I could be entirely wrong, but if I remember correctly. When I had the clutch inspection plate off the bellhousing, there are adjustments on the pressure plate? If so, what do I adjust and what spec should it be? What all do the adjustments do? Thanks for any info.

There are three bolts on the pressure plate that adjust the fingers of the pressure plate, but you should not have to adjust those. The best way is to adjust the cable linkage to where you have 1/2" to 3/4" of free pedal, (distance that the pedal moves before the clutch fork starts to engage the pressure plate). If your bushings on the pedal assembly are wobbling about, that may be why your clutch doesn't feel right.

gm has you straight. Do Not Touch the adjusting bolts on the fingers of the pressure plate. They are preset. Moving those will definitely lead to problems. as gm said, and we discussed before, any lost motion in your clutch linkage can lead to issues with adjustment, release and engagement.

Thank you guys! I wasn't sure if it was something that should be adjusted periodically, as part of routine maintenance. But that's one less thing on my list of things to do. I just didn't want to over look it, if it was something that needed to be done.
    Thank you for setting me straight. I'll get some pedal parts ordered and go from there.

Most of the throw out bearings are now sealed, but before there was a grease zerk that needed a shot of grease from time to time. Now that they are sealed, you install and forget now. Sometimes people put way too much grease on the throw out bearing, and grease would sling around and get on the flywheel and make you have a bad day.

Clutch and Brake Pedal "Slop"

[QUOTE If your bushings on the pedal assembly are wobbling about, that may be why your clutch doesn't feel right.[/QUOTE]

The clutch pedal (and to a lesser degree the brake pedal) on the truck wobbled to the left and right a lot because the hole on which it mounted to the hanger was badly worn. On the '48 there were no bushings, so we got new pedal arms.

They improved things a LOT, but there was enough wear on the clutch and brake hanger that even with the new pedals, there is a little left-right wobble in the clutch.