Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1954 CJ3B - Project

Having the rubber dry up is the norm AJ-MJ. Even some of the best "stored" vintage vehicles will fall prey to that. No gas in the tank might mean it was drained and possibly the carb was run dry. If so, you never know, it may just surprise you and start right up. As gm said, yes it had a battery hold down.

That is a nice looking Jeep! I love the color. The engine stamp serial number can be very lightly struck. If the block has been rebuilt the numbers may have been "milled" off. once you get the radiator out it might be easier to see. gm uses Harbor Freight Nylon Flapper Wheels" with great results. I think they will work well to clean the numbers without destroying them.

Your iteration of the F-134 has the closed crankcase vent on the exhaust valve cover with the "PCV" valve tied back to the vacuum line and a hose on the intake valve cover. Some iterations just had an open road tube for a crankcase vent..

The top looks like it is in excellent condition. Who made the top?

Is that a 72' El Camino setting next to it?

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    The top looks like it is in excellent condition. Who made the top?

Is that a 72' El Camino setting next to it?
    I helped (?) my dad put the top on the the jeep when I was probably about 8 years old. I think I held the screws, screw drive and drill when he when he needed something I handed it to him. The top either came from Sears or J C Whitney. I am not sure. The top saved the interior. It is original and in fair to good shape. It was painted with that interior vinyl paint. Any suggestion on the best chemical to take that stuff off would be appreciated.

The second project is a 82 Caballero (GMC version of the El Camino) I may need some small block Chey help too, LOL!

That makes that one very special top! We can certainly help you with a SBC!

The best thing I found to remove paint from darn near anything are the abrasive nylon brushes sold by Horrible Freight. Bmorgil referred to these brushes earlier in discussion with finding the serial number on the block.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-8...abrasive+wheel

Bmorgil can definitely help you with a small block Chev. Besides being Dr. Dana, he knows his way through engines too!

I apologize. I may not have made myself clear, when I was asking about paint removal, I was referring to the vinyl upholstery paint sprayed on the seat covers. I was trying to figure out if acetone, lacquer thinner, or denatured alcohol or some other chemical would remove the upholstery spray. ANY SUGGESTIONS on what to use or what not to use. THANKS!

That’s a great looking B!

My apologies for misunderstanding the question. Mineral spirits have been used successfully to pull the dye/paint from the vinyl upholstery.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    My apologies for misunderstanding the question. Mineral spirits have been used successfully to pull the dye/paint from the vinyl upholstery.
    THANKS! I will give that a try.