Thread: Engine Mounts

Threaded View

042.JPG100_3042.JPG100_3039.JPG100_3044.JPG100_3045.JPGSo update on the engine mounts. I ordered a "unversal" engine mount kit. It looks like it was universal for a V8. I probably screwed up the ordering. No matter I decided to modify these. Because I have a straight 6 the block mounts are straight therefore I needed 90 degree mounts instead of the slanted mounts that came in the kit. I chopped off the brackets and and had to fill in the holes on the plate because the spacing was off as well. After that I went down to the local steel shop. They took me in the back to let me look around to see what might work. I found some 1/4" 2x4 box steel since they didnt have any channel type metal. I got approximately 20". They wound up using a plasma cutter to cut the ends which were pretty knarly. I put a metal cutting wheel on my shop smith and cut the box steel length wise down the middle to make two separate brackets. I used a chop saw with a metal cutting wheel to clean up one end on each of the brackets. Even with the chop saw the cut wasnt as square as I wanted. I jury rigged my ShopSmith so I could get a 90 degree angle from the sanding disk. Slow and steady got the angle I was looking for. Butt welded the channel to the plate from the purchased brackets and loosely mounted to the engine. That is where I'm at now. I have to finish up the other side then I will line up the plates for the frame and weld into place. Once I get it all done I will powder coat them flat black. I think they will last forever.
    Last edited by 1948 Cal Willys Pickup; 01-04-2013 at 11:38 AM.