Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine Mounts

042.JPG100_3042.JPG100_3039.JPG100_3044.JPG100_3045.JPGSo update on the engine mounts. I ordered a "unversal" engine mount kit. It looks like it was universal for a V8. I probably screwed up the ordering. No matter I decided to modify these. Because I have a straight 6 the block mounts are straight therefore I needed 90 degree mounts instead of the slanted mounts that came in the kit. I chopped off the brackets and and had to fill in the holes on the plate because the spacing was off as well. After that I went down to the local steel shop. They took me in the back to let me look around to see what might work. I found some 1/4" 2x4 box steel since they didnt have any channel type metal. I got approximately 20". They wound up using a plasma cutter to cut the ends which were pretty knarly. I put a metal cutting wheel on my shop smith and cut the box steel length wise down the middle to make two separate brackets. I used a chop saw with a metal cutting wheel to clean up one end on each of the brackets. Even with the chop saw the cut wasnt as square as I wanted. I jury rigged my ShopSmith so I could get a 90 degree angle from the sanding disk. Slow and steady got the angle I was looking for. Butt welded the channel to the plate from the purchased brackets and loosely mounted to the engine. That is where I'm at now. I have to finish up the other side then I will line up the plates for the frame and weld into place. Once I get it all done I will powder coat them flat black. I think they will last forever.
    Last edited by 1948 Cal Willys Pickup; 01-04-2013 at 11:38 AM.

More photos from the post above. 100_3046.JPG 100_3040.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1948 Cal Willys Pickup; 01-05-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Looks like you have your project moving again, you said working with metal is what you like. So enjoy, I wish I had your patience on my project , but it seems I don't , maybe because I still have so many projects going and the everyday bad luck seems to keep me from having the time or extra dollars .....
    Keep on moving summer will be here before you know it, then ride in the truck....all the hard work will be well worth it...

Yeah Jesse, been working hard over the past week. Engine in, engine out, engine in, engine out. Finished the brackets finally. They came out nice. I like the side by side photo with the old "mount". They are installed now. I have to finish up the cross member and replace the tranny mounts. I filled up some swiss cheese on the back of the frame. It was a really busy week and I was really happy to finish something. It keeps me motivated. I don't think it will be done by summer. Too much to do with school and work. We will see. Ease up on the projects and fix that death wobble. Keep the Frau happy.100_3049.JPG100_3050.JPG100_3052.JPG100_3053.JPG100_3056.JPG

Very nice work! Well you may not be done by summer but when you are complete the patience and your time you put in will pay off...looks like axels are installed so progress is taken shape....

Thanks Jesse. I guess the next project on the list is the tranny mounts and crossmember.

Here is a link to the photo album for this little project. I kind of screwed up the order of the photos. They are from end product to beginning stage. The album page doesn't allow you to sort the order.

Photos are great , I know you must feel a little overwhelmed at times, big restore you have going.....I know I was just reviving my jeepster and I get a little overwhelmed but then I drive it and smile ( my satisfaction ) ....o well I do wish you great luck .....