Thread: apperintly have a starting issue

Question apperintly have a starting issue

Hello there

I have a 1942 Willys MB, my Grandfather bought after WWII, It has been sitting in a shed at camp for over 15 years, i Broke the motor free, have spark,timing is corect gas/oil flowing properly,

Now.

I bought a new 6volt battery, but it is cranking very slow. according to my manuel it should be cranking at 180 RPM, im getting around 60 RPM,
    so i cleaned up all my connections bought new distrubutor, points rotar plugs wires. still slow crankng.

So

There is a STock Auto Lite MZ 4113 starter and a stock Auto Lite GEG-502d Gernerator. obviously that is my next step in the process.

But right now buying those new would send my budget backwords. so i was wondering if i took the starter out and cleaned the brushes and everything, would that be worth my time or should i just save up and get new Started/Generator. i really want to keep it as orginal as possible so if there is any word on rebuild kits cause i cant find any.

I know i should turn it to a 12 volt system but i dont want to.

Any Advise would be apriciated,

Thank You

Tyler

I'd just pull the starter out and take it to a competent place that repairs them. Could be a simple fix like replacing a bearing or new brushes.
    To ride, shoot straight and speak the truth

I believe that will work....I took a starter apart and the problem was dust , used air to blow out the dust , wiped all the parts cleaned put back together and has been working with out a problem , close to two years........good luck