Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Mounts

Engine Mounts

Need help finding engine mounts. Got a 48 PU with a Chevy 250 CID straight 6. When I got the truck the motor mounts were made out of some old leaf springs bent in a u shape with rubber pads. A little bit farm rigged. The springs wound up cracking all 4 brackets they were attached to. so I need to find some engine mounts that work. No luck so far and I have never fabbed engine mounts before so this could get interesting. Any advice, help, guidance on how to do this or suitable mount replacement would be GREATLY appreciated.

Motor mounts made from leaf springs.....wow....I have this same disorder and really need to be careful or my Jeepster is going to be a mess....all jokes aside I saw a episode of 2 guys In a garage about welding a modified bracket from 1/4" plate Steel and fitted to the existing mounts....this was on a pickup but interesting on how you can make most everything work ....good luck

I hear you and that's the most likely route I'm going to take. Just worried about things like axle/transfer case alignment. It will take some time but very important it gets done correctly. Studying it now.

While I was under my Jeepster today I noticed that the drive shaft was not parallel with the frame so the alignment may not have to be perfect , the universal joints make up the difference .....I really don't know , I think that it should line up though..

There are plenty of drive shafts that have some crazy angles into the axels. Those universals are made for that kind of stress. Just cant handle the extra burden or cost right now. Holidays around the corner so most of the "extra" money is going to that. Trying to keep costs down.

100_2943.jpg100_2944.jpg100_2947.jpg100_2948.jpg100_2950.jpgSo here are the original "engine mounts" I just got them off the engine today. I didn't realize how bad they really are. Not sure if you can see in the photos but one mount's holes are completely broken. I honestly dont know what was holding it in. Probably just the other mount. The other mount looks like some kind of modern art masterpiece. It broke the original frame mount and a previous owner butt welded the bracket back together. The vibration pad looks like it was welded to the jury rigged leaf spring while the rubber was still in it. Its all melted and pretty much useless. On the underside of the bracket there are about 7 serious cracks all over the place. Glad I decided to rebuild this thing before I drove it too much. Still trying to figure out how to build these mounts.

Those pictures tell some story, " just make one more haul and I will trade this truck in " patch patch alone the way....we really will never know....
    Make sure the Christmas holidays are good then you will be blessed again to start spending money on the truck but we both know the best way to save money is to not spend it ....

Too late money spent. I actually found an old JP magazine that had an article putting this exact drivetrain in a jeep ratrod. Hated the car but good idea for some ghetto mounts. Mine will look much better. Anyway the name of the article was sloppy seconds which I found humorous and may wind up naming this truck.

You need to have a sign made with " Sloppy Seconds " hang it on the grille at every Truck Show you enter.....

Yeah may have to print all the before pics as well so people know what I'm talking about lol.