Thread: Windsheild Wiper System

Windsheild Wiper System

Hey Guys,
    I own a 1949 Willys Jeepster. It has been modified and now is a Street Rod. I want to remove the windsheild wiper system because it is cable operated. I know that some early model cars had systems that used towers similer to the jeepster but uses macanical levers instead of cable.
    Has anybody changed their cable system to a lever system? What did you use and where did you get it?
    Thanks

Hi wrb,
    I'm a jeepster owner myself, don't have the same setup as you have, but thought I would ask is there room for the lever and arm to rotate , good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Jcmjr1959 View Post
    Hi wrb,
    I'm a jeepster owner myself, don't have the same setup as you have, but thought I would ask is there room for the lever and arm to rotate , good luck
    Thanks for the reply, Jcmjr1959,
    I have not got a look under the dash yet. That will be my next order of business. I am 70 years of age, so it is a little bit of a challenge for an old guy. I will need to remove the passenger seat first so that I can lay down on the job. Just thought that maybe somebody out there might have already made this modification.
    Last edited by wrb36usa; 12-28-2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Addittional info

Quote Originally Posted by wrb36usa View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Jcmjr1959,
    I have not got a look under the dash yet. That will be my next order of business. I am 70 years of age, so it is a little bit of a challenge for an old guy. I will need to remove the passenger seat first so that I can lay down on the job. Just thought that maybe somebody out there might have already made this modification.
    What type of system do you have on your '59 Jeepster and does yours have towers mounted on the cowel? Or, is your system mounted above the windsheild?
    Thanks

I pulled 3 different wiper systems out of my 48 pickup including the pulley system. KW sells an electric motorized wiper system that happened to be one of the systems I pulled out. That will be the system I put back in. It basically uses an individual motor on each wiper. My wipers are mounted on the cowl not overhead. Not sure how yours are mounted and this may not be an option for you. If you have some pictures you can post that may help with ideas. Good luck.

Windsheild Wiper System

Quote Originally Posted by 1948 Cal Willys Pickup View Post
    I pulled 3 different wiper systems out of my 48 pickup including the pulley system. KW sells an electric motorized wiper system that happened to be one of the systems I pulled out. That will be the system I put back in. It basically uses an individual motor on each wiper. My wipers are mounted on the cowl not overhead. Not sure how yours are mounted and this may not be an option for you. If you have some pictures you can post that may help with ideas. Good luck.
    Thanks for the reply, 1948 Cal Willys Pickup,
    My system uses the pullys and is mounted on the Cowel. They have towers that hold the wiper arms. I will add a photo, just as soon as I figue out how to do it. OK, here is a photo attached. You will need to click on it to enlarge it.
    Thanks Again
    Attached Images Attached Images

My truck has the cowl mounted wipers as well but not the towers. I can see now what you are looking to do. One of the othe system that was in my truck was an old GM wiper motor. I couldnt quite figure out what they were trying to do and now it makes a little more sense. The motor was mounted under the dash against the firewall dead center. There was no linkage other than a small arm on the motor. It wasnt connected to anything so at the time I couldnt figure out what they were trying to accomplish. Now I know but I am afraid this doesnt really help you out. You may be able to use the individual electric wiper motors if there is a shaft that goes through the tower into the cab that can be disconnected from the rest of the linkage. Other than that it would be really hard to tell without seeing the setup first hand. I would give KW a call and see if those motors will work or if they can point you in another direction.

Wrb,
    My jeepster is 1970 model so I forget that the earlier models are so different , then again I seem to forget more and more these days my wife says anyway....as Cal said maybe install two motors ( one on the drivers side and one for the passenger or not....the 1959 was the year my Moms Favorite child / son was born....good luck