Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saginaw Steering vs. Bell Crank

Thought this was a good article.

One of the bits I gleaned from this thread is something about power assist.

My Jeep started as an emotional purchase on the part of my mum as she had learned to drive in one of these. She would still like to drive it, but being in her 70s, she can't really handle the steering as well as she could when she was 10.

I too intend to drive my jeep normally. I'd like it to look reasonably original but the idea of modified brakes and steering are appealling.
    I also want to avoid a Frankenstein monster, with parts from all over, which seems to be the current 4x4 craze. -If my heirs need to rebuild this jeep in 50 years time, I'd hope it'd be straight forward and not a session of Q&A about 2010 4x4 trends.

Therefore: Is there a decent power assist application that doesn't add some unwieldy divice to the front of the jeep like some mishappened misplaced wench?

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo von Klepper View Post
    Therefore: Is there a decent power assist application that doesn't add some unwieldy divice to the front of the jeep like some mishappened misplaced wench?
    I was trying to find something like that too, but I have a feeling there isn't going to be much of an option for that.

J,

To add my .2 cents to your thread, My vote is in favor of the Saginaw steering box. I have a 1952 M38 http://blog.kaiserwillys.com/m38-cus...os/bob-moledor When I rebuilt the Jeep I tried to keep it's appearance pretty close to stock, but one of the best modifications I made was swapping out the original steering for a Saginaw box with a one piece tie rod. My first Jeep was a 1946 CJ2A and I have experience the "death wobble" first hand and did not wish to live through it again. So here are the details I have a Saginaw box off a wrecked CJ5. I purchased a mounting plate and one piece tie rod from Advanced Adapters. The mounting plate is welded to the driver's side frame between the bumper and grill. I have 11" drum brakes, Rancho springs that are 2 1/2" taller then originals and I'm running 31x10.5" tires on 15"x7" rims and I have no wobble at any speed and it steers much easier then the original Ross set-up.
    Saginaw Steering in M38.jpg

I am restoring a CJ6 here in Australia, I have not heard of a replacement steering system. Can someone explain it to me? Or where can I find reading on it?

1948 Cal Willys Pickup said, "The only changes I made were a power steering assist . . . "

I'm not familiar with a "power steering assist" on a Jeep. I'm familiar with them on 18 wheelers & they worked GREAT. Easy steering & good road feel.

Please explain. Thanks,

Dan

Jmetz, Your steering choice has everything to do with how you plan to use your Willys. Obviously if you are going for a true restoration and plan to run stock tires I'd say do a complete rebuild on your original steering, add a dampener and you should be good to go. I have an M38, we use our Jeep for light off-road adventures. It has a set of rancho springs which are 2.5" over stock height and we are running 10.5x31 tires. I chose to put a saginaw steering box on, a one piece tie rod and a steering stabilizer. I am completely happy with my set up and have NO WOBBLE which was what I was going for. I also have 11" brakes and a dual master cylinder. Everything else is stock and all this works for what we use our Willys for. If I ever do another Jeep it will be a restoration and I will keep it Willys factory correct. So it all come down to how you plan to use the Jeep.
    Bob Moledor
    1952 M38
    MC56029
    /I, [_____],
    I---L-OIIIIIIIO-
    ()_) ()_)-<>)_)