Thread: Dana 27 Front Axel

Dana 27 Front Axel

Here is the front axel off of my 48 Willys Pickup. Nothing special here just sand blasted and used KBR's chassis black paint on it. Looks pretty good although I'm not quite sure I like it. First time doing something like this. The diff cover had some cracks I had to weld then I decided to matte black powder coat the cover to give it a bit more durability. The chassis black didnt look so hot over the powder coating. KBR toughts the self leveling qualities of their system which worked fine on the rest of the axel but didnt level quite as nice on the powder coating. I have to look at the instructions to see what they recommend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like the look , I need to remove my front and rear axles to replace all the seals and I am sure some other parts...leaks everywhere....when I finally get around to this task I will blast and paint , it looks great

Thanks. I blasted it with one of the harbor freight specials. All I can say about it is what you read in the comments is very true. I will be looking for a good media blasting place in the future. Blasting is the way to go. It gets everything off and makes a perfect base. Its just dirty and time consuming but easy enough to do.

The leaf springs you purchased ,how do you measure for this and where did you purchase them...I want to replace the rear springs ...these things are flat, very little arch and weak

I purchased them from Kaiser Willys. They are direct fit replacement. I am sure you can get them from other palces as well. I would definitely shop around. I think what you mostly have to worry about is what, if anything you are going to haul. The heavier the items you are moving the larger the spring count should be and vise versa. Too many leafs and your ride will be too stiff and you will bounce all over the place.

It will not be for hauling , this is for me and my wife to ride around on a sunny day , no hurry , no top and no place to be....
    So I will get on the phone with Kaiser next week to get those springs coming my way and will keep you posted, I have more pictures of my demo and grinding project and will post them soon....thanks again

Cant wait to see the pics. I would stick with the stock springs or you may wind up bouncing yourself out of the wifes support.

She is claiming the Jeepster.....so what I do to this jeepster she welcomes....we are Loving this thing...

It would be awesome if she is not already getting her hands dirty on it to get them that way. Trust me she will probably be all in if she is working on it with you.