Thread: 1947 Willy's restoration for my 21 yo daughter

1947 Willy's restoration for my 21 yo daughter

P1180209.jpgIt was given to me by a very good friend. Any suggestions comments are appreciated....seems like it will be a fun restore...it was #500 in 1947...i thought that was kewl....wondering if should swap to 12 volt....brake kits....gearing for highway use etc....

many thanks

Apachurro

Welcome. Thats a pretty cool little Willys. Is that hard top home made? 12v vs 6v doesnt really matter. Some people complain of low cranking power in cold weather but if you're not in the mountains of AZ then cold really isnt a factor. Highly recommend upgrading brakes as 4 wheel drum is not fun although it will wake you up in a hurry sometimes. I am assuming you have 4 wheel drums. If you are not restoring and just upgrading think about an entirely new power train if you are looking at highway use. The limit to upgrades is usually up to most peoples wallets. Good luck and if you have any questions or comments please post. Most of us are just learning about Willys and how to work on them. Your daughter is a lucky woman.

Nice, same top as is on the one I am getting this weekend.