Thread: 1948 Pickup Trans Mount/Cross Member

1948 Pickup Trans Mount/Cross Member

I posted some photos in a new album here. I am working on the transmission mount/cross member. The original bracket was located to far forward to be used with my power-train. The setup in the photos is what came with the truck. I wanted to use the original bracket for looks as well as practicality. The "new" bracket was not wide enough to accommodate the cross member. After I got the original bracket off I found a couple of surprises. Take a look if you are interested.

Change to the change. I took a lot of time trying to weld repair the cracked bracket as well as extend it to make it work. It took almost half a day and I didn't like the result. I don't feel like it can handle the stress. So all I'm going to do is drill mount holes through the cross member into the frame and bolt it directly to the frame. I will also weld in "L" brackets on the bottom of the frame and drill mount holes through the brackets and cross member for additional support. Now that I have that idea in my head, I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. The original brackets will be added to the scrap heap next to the truck. I think I have unloaded about 15 lbs of scrap brackets, mounts, doo dads that just aren't needed. I wonder if I can recycle.

You seem to be making plenty of progress, did you get your garage put back from the storms , I hope everything in it was ok..I like the pictures...our computer is having issues and not working so I can not post pictures from my ipad....some reason it wont allow me to post them....

The water never got high enough to cause any real problems. The city came out and cleared the drain. I almost finished the cross member. I got the last parts in today and hopefully should be finishing it up tomorrow night. I will post pictures when its all done.

I know you are having a blast working on your truck, I haven't been doing anything on my jeepster , my work truck when down , injector problems so I have been a little distracted on getting it up and going , I am starting to think I should have married for money and not love , then I would have paid someone to do the mechanic work on all my vehicals ....lol....I should be back on the jeepster soon , miss working on it , it misses me to I do believe ....

Quote Originally Posted by Jcmjr1959 View Post
    I know you are having a blast working on your truck, I haven't been doing anything on my jeepster , my work truck when down , injector problems so I have been a little distracted on getting it up and going , I am starting to think I should have married for money and not love , then I would have paid someone to do the mechanic work on all my vehicles ....lol....I should be back on the jeepster soon , miss working on it , it misses me to I do believe ....
    If you paid someone else to do it you wouldn't have as much fun and appreciation but you know that already. Good luck with the work truck. Have to keep that money flowing in or nothing gets done on the jeepster. I finished working the crossmember and got some photos. I will post it tonight. I am taking the day for myself and going skiing at Squaw Valley by Lake Tahoe. Watch out young people...old men in skis don't stop so well kind of like my 4 wheel drums. Dang thats another project I have to finish.

I finally got the pictures posted of the completed cross member. It came out fairly nice. I am happy with it. I will put more photos of it when I get it installed.

You are to funny, but I am going to ask, how was the skiing, run over anyone ?
    Get those brakes working on the truck before you take it on a drive, please ...hehehe
    Heading over now to check out the cross member photos ....