Thread: New Guy here from Georgia

New Guy here from Georgia

Hello everyone,
    I was given a Willys jeep from an guy up the road. I was looking around on the Internet and found the forum. I have owned a Jeep before but never a Willys. I am really excited to get this thing up and running. I think it is a 51 CJ 3a but I am not sure. It does not have and engine in it. I know very little about it. The guys said it has been sitting for about 4 years and they had a huge V8 in it. I will get some picture of it when I go down to pick it up. I hope that I will find some help from all of in my mission to get my new toy up and running. I do not know much about Willys, But I have always wanted one.

Thanks,
    Joker

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I was given a Willys jeep from an guy up the road. I was looking around on the Internet and found the forum. I have owned a Jeep before but never a Willys. I am really excited to get this thing up and running. I think it is a 51 CJ 3a but I am not sure. It does not have and engine in it. I know very little about it. The guys said it has been sitting for about 4 years and they had a huge V8 in it. I will get some picture of it when I go down to pick it up. I hope that I will find some help from all of in my mission to get my new toy up and running. I do not know much about Willys, But I have always wanted one.

Thanks,
    Joker
    Welcome. I know we have at least one other member here from Georgia. I have a 48 pickup which I have been working on for awhile. It is also my first Willys. I can tell you so far it has been fun and rather simple (in hind site) to work on. I think you will have fun. Since this is my first rebuild alone I can recommend one thing right from the get go. Research a lot and figure out what you want to do and write it down before you start doing anything. In other words have a plan. It will focus you on a particular thing rather than just going into your garage and picking something out of the blue like I do everyday. Kind of all over the place. Good luck and if you have questions just ask.

Hello and Welcome Joker,
    Congrats on your new toy and I also agree you will have lots of fun working on it....and so much more fun when you drive it.....

I hope to start on it soon. I have to get the tub off and start in on the rust. I will take pictures once I get it in my shop. Maybe you guys can help me figure out what I have. The guy that owned it had a corvette motor in it, so I do not know what modifications he may have made to get that monster in there. We will see.

Thanks,
    Joker

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I hope to start on it soon. I have to get the tub off and start in on the rust. I will take pictures once I get it in my shop. Maybe you guys can help me figure out what I have. The guy that owned it had a corvette motor in it, so I do not know what modifications he may have made to get that monster in there. We will see.

Thanks,
    Joker
    Do you know if it is an LS1 motor? Its a pretty common transplant on almost any car. I haven't heard of it done on a Willys but it doesn't surprise me. It is a very strong and reliable motor if it is and is usually why people do it but usually in muscle cars not 4x4. There is sooo much room under a Willys hood you can do almost anything. The hard thing about those motors though is if its computer controlled. Hard for me anyway as I don't know anything about that stuff. If you have a carb on top then it would be easier to work. If its fuel injected then thats a different ball of wax. Would love to see a pic of that motor installed.

I have enjoyed working on removing the rusted floor and bed area , welding the new metal was a little work for this rookie , not complete but looking very nice I must say , cal 1948 was my mentor , at the end of a work day on the jeepster finish with some welding and patching of the metal and leave with a smile ....lol