Thread: 1966 CJ-5 Frame No 785659

Question 1966 CJ-5 Frame No 785659

I bought a 1966 CJ-5 about 5 years ago and have just started its restoration. The "ID tag" was missing from the firewall when I bought it. Upon removing the tub and all parts exposing the frame we found this number (785659) stamped on the frame, top side, right above back spring mount (front wheel) on the passanger side. It seems to have too many digits and be too high to be the Jeep's serial number. Does anyone have any information about how this number might have been originated or how it relates to the serial number of the Jeep?

Try this site.

Thanks 1948 Cal _, That site is full of information. I am puzzled about a s/n starting in the 700,000 range!
    Last edited by arizjeep160; 02-15-2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Insert picture of frame

Thanks 1948 Cal _, That site is full of good information. I am puzzled by a s/n in the 700,000 range. I just figured out how to add a photo.Jeep Resto 007.jpg

Trying to post this for a third time. Website keeps locking up on me. I was puzzled by that too especially since production numbers were in the 600K region. I think it’s just some kind of production stamp not related to the serial. In 1962 serial numbers were swapped to VIN numbers and digits 8 through 13 were used to identify the vehicle number. The number you found doesn’t fit either. I am still looking for production codes and stamps and will see what I can find. I don’t know much about CJ’s but I am curious if the frames were the same throughout the series. If it is, it may just be a frame production number that continued after the CJ3’s. That may be farfetched but is just a thought. Here is a site with some more good info on serials and VIN numbers.

Hi 1948 Cal_, I am embarassed in that I decided to do a rubbing of the frame number and in so doing it was clear the "7" was actually a "1". This makes better sense... Thanks for all who helped. The lesson is to do a rubbing on all frame stampings to be sure...

Well some of those old numbers are hard to tell for sure especially ones and sevens. I hope you found the info you were looking for.