Thread: 1946 CJ2A To MB Conversion

1946 CJ2A To MB Conversion

Just got the 46 CJ2A home. Had quite the trailer wobble on the 400 mile round trip and though for sure I was going to have to rebuild the Explorer as well.

I will be removing the show blade and the top. I would like to trade these items for others I will need. Or sell them.

The top.

The top is good and made of light aluminum. The windshield is part of the top as it is rivited. There are needed repairs on the top but new aluminum sheeting should take care of that. It is well braced inside and the sound deadening will need removed and redone.

The plow. As shown in the first post is hydraulic up and down. It is manual side to side. The side bracket are welded to the frame and a new way of attachment for the bottom pivot area under the Jeep will have to be made up. The blade itself is solid and not rusted. The cutting tip is in good shape and will not need to be replaced.

I first plan to get the jeep running by correcting the ignition problem between the switch and start button. Then on to disassembly of the jeep to work on the body and frame. The front of the frame will need some repair and new front frame sections will be needed due to all the welding for the plow assembly. The tub has holes in the floorboards and some rust on the doorsides. Hat channels are pretty much gone and will need replaces as they don't seem anywhere near the mounting points. Front fenders are in bad shap and the radiator is not correct. Also the windshield is from a CJ3A. Steering cloumn is wrong as power steering was installed because of the plow and front frame has lots of welding for that.

Work will probably start when the weather cooperates. 15 degrees today with wind. It was minus windchill. Anyone interested in the top or plow let me know.

I am looking for an MB windshield, front grill, engine hood and front fenders. Used is good.

The pictures are great and you have a lot of work. Sorry cant use the plow as I'm in Cali's mid valley. It was 70 degrees yesterday. It sounds like you have a plan for your rebuild. Do you know what you want in the end? I unfortunately did not when I started tearing into my truck but figured it out before I started rebuilding. Good luck with your rebuild.

Going for a close to an MB look alike as possible. I am a stickler for detail and will do all the work myself. I rebuild Vintage Suzuki Two-strokes and Geo Metros currently as both are great sellers. Thanks.

There is a lot of detail in an MB rebuild. There is also a lot of add ons. Should look pretty awesome when you get done though.