Thread: Leaded to Unleaded Fuel Conversion

Hybrid View

Leaded to Unleaded Fuel Conversion

I don't know if you're interested, but as I'm still a noob I've been trying to find out more information about converting my CJ3a to run on unleaded fuel. I think it's safe to say that I knew next to nothing about the process.

This last season's Wheeler Dealers went through quite a bit of detail about testing and updating the engine of a leaded-fuel engine and its conversion to an unleaded fuel. Granted it's for a Triumph TR-6, but I thought the process was fascinating and very helpful to see what the tools are that they use to do the work.

At least, it's a very good use of 5 minutes of my time. YMMV, of course.

Hope this helps,
    J

Thanks J, I saw the same episode. I also found it very interesting although I am not faced with that problem. Good luck.

Hummmm.....is this something I should be learning about with my '56 CJ5? I know in '56 regular gas was just that...lead and all. I'm wondering about lead additive to the fuel, or other alterations that may be necessary. I know this ethanol **** is really hard on my lawn equipment, and I'd like to avoid screwing up my '56.

Any suggestions or info? Am I being paranoid?

I was just wondering the same thing. I really don't know if the valve guides have been replaced with harder ones or not on my 50 cj3a or not.
    1950 CJ3A , 2008 Suzuki SX4 AWD

Don't waste your money...if you are going to drive your Jeep 30,000 miles per year, then you might consider having hardened valve seats put in...otherwise the cost will by far outweigh any benefits of having this job done...the valve seats are replaced, and the guides are NOT hardened...just replaced with factory spec units...now, if you already have your engine out for overhaul, go ahead and do the seats and guides.