Thread: Steering wheel removal

Steering wheel removal

I need to remove the stubborn old steering wheel from my 53 SW. Anyone got any ideas?

Just the steering wheel or the whole column? If its just the wheel try a hub puller and a lot of wd40.

Good luck with that. The Cj5 project I am restoring had sat outside in a cow pasture for many years. Eventually had to resort to the cutting torch. I was careful though and did not damage the tube. So now I'm into a new worm shaft for $134. Not too hard to replace though.

Just pulled the steering wheel on my 3b the other day. I built a puller at work quick and easy. Can send you a pic if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenay3b View Post
    Just pulled the steering wheel on my 3b the other day. I built a puller at work quick and easy. Can send you a pic if needed.
    Hi, would it be possible to send me a picture of this puller?

Thanks
    Werner

Disconnect the battery negative lead.
    Remove the steering wheel as follows:
    For car without air bags:
    Remove the steering wheel horn pad by pulling firmly on the pad. It'll be tough but, don't worry about breaking it. If you have an aftermarket wheel (i.e. Momo) with a center horn button, gently pry around the outside of the button with a small flat tip screwdriver or probe to dislodge the button from the wheel.
    Disconnect the wire from the back of the horn button.
    Using a 15/16" (or 24 mm) socket and ratchet, remove the steering wheel retaining nut and the washer behind the nut.
    Using a paint pen, finger nail polish, or other appropriate marker, mark the orientation of the steering wheel to the splines on the end of the steering column shaft.
    Pull the steering wheel straight off the end of the steering column.
    To bring you light for your car

For cars with air bags:
    The air bag can be removed after the battery has been disconnected for at least 30 minutes.
    On the back side of the steering wheel there are two Torx head screws which are recessed into the back of the column. Using a T30 Torx socket and ratchet, remove the screws.
    Slide the air bag assembly off of the front of the steering column and disconnect the plug on the back of the air bag. Set the air bag aside where it can not get damaged (face up).
    Using a 15/16" (or 24 mm) socket and ratchet, remove the steering wheel retaining nut and the washer behind the nut.
    Using a paint pen, finger nail polish, or other appropriate marker, mark the orientation of the steering wheel to the splines on the end of the steering column shaft.
    Pull the steering wheel straight off the end of the steering column.
    To bring you light for your car

buy one from kaisler willys $ 85.00 it works great !