Thread: Accidental newbie! 1947 CJ2A

Accidental newbie! 1947 CJ2A

I'm pretty excited to be a new member of this awesome group! I've been a Jeep fan my whole life, starting when I was a little kid playing army in the two Willys (a 47 CJ2A and a 50's MB) my dad had stored at our property after my great uncle passed away. My friends and I would spend hours out there in those jeeps, pretending we were fighting Nazis or that we were on some overland off road journey. Eventually some relatives came to get them and I hadn't seen them since.
    Time went by and I finally bought my first Jeep 4 years ago, a 1987 Grand Wagoneer. What started as a off road project turned into a daily driver after my wife's car died. I love the Wagoneer, but it's not a "Jeep" in the traditional sense, and I've always coveted those old Willys that I played in as a child.

Well a few weeks ago, my cousin contacted me to see if I could go over to my grandfather's house to take pictures for him of the 47 CJ2A that he had stored over there. He had a friend who was interested in it and wanted to do a trade for a beater Toyota pickup. I asked how much he wanted for it and he said he wasn't interested in money. But he remembered I had a rare 76 Honda trials motorcycle that he really wanted and thought we could do a trade. I wasn't doing anything with the bike and he didn't want two Willys, so the trade was made!
    So now I'm the proud owner of a 1947 Willys CJ2A with a Chevy 350 under the hood, the very same Jeep that I spent so many hours as a child, playing in it.

We dug it out of my grandfather's shed just yesterday and moved it to my dad's shop to start the build! She needs a lot of work and time, but I should have that tired 350 up and running in no time!

I've posted a bunch of pictures in a album attached to my profile.
    Be ready, I'm sure I'll have TONS of questions as I go along!

Sean Kelly

Nice trade. Looks like a good project. Not too far away from me. I am south of Christiansburg, VA.

Nice story. Both my boys do the same thing you are talking about in my 48 PU. I always catch them out there playing Army which sometimes hurts as an Air Force guy but who ever heard of someone playing Air Force? Anyway she looks like a nice jeep. Have fun with it.